Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Clay Question...unsure after search?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Question...unsure after search?

If you clay your car must you follow with a polish and wax or can you just clay the car?

I plan on doing all three in two weeks and was unsure. I will most likely:
- Wash, P21S Shampoo
- Clay, Sonus Block Detailing Clay
- Polish with PC, Sonus SFX-2 Swirl Remover
- Wax...should this be by hand or PC, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze followed with P21S Carnauba Wax

Would this be the correct method? I am overdue but just can't find the time to complete...luckily my wife is going out of town with my son for a week so I will have the time to work every night.

I would probably need to break this up over a couple of nights. Does the car need to be washed between each step if it is garaged. I know there are a lot of questions but I want to do the best I can...Thanks, Tim
Old 07-14-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Clay Question...unsure after search?

Q: If you clay your car must you follow with a polish and wax or can you just clay the car?
A: Clay will remove surface contaminants and wax, it will not remove most sealants, I would suggest you provide some protection to the paint once youâ€<sup>TM</sup>ve used detailerâ€<sup>TM</sup>s clay

I plan on doing all three in two weeks and was unsure. I will most likely:- Wash, P21S Shampoo- Clay, Sonus Block Detailing Clay- Polish with PC, Sonus SFX-2 Swirl Remover-

Wax...should this be by hand or PC
[I would apply and remove wax by hand]

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze followed with P21S Carnauba WaxI would probably need to break this up over a couple of nights. Does the car need to be washed between each step if it is garaged?
[I would rinse the car with water to ensure a dust/dirt free surface to avid scratches]

~Hope this helps~
JonM
Old 07-14-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Clay Question...unsure after search?

In general, when you set out to clay a car the whole point is to remove everything from the surface of the paint. Meaning, before you clay, you should try to remove any and all previous waxes, polishes, glazes, etc...this is best accomplished by using a detergent soap. Most folks here recommend liquid Dawn.

Once you Dawn wash and clay the car, I can almost 100% guarantee there's no sealant on the paint - which is how you'll want it.

Once you're done with that, proceed with the paint repair process of your choice: as you mention, using the PC and the Sonus Swirl Mark Remover (SMR). Buff that off, obviously.

Once you're done with the SMR, then you're on to the final steps. Here you have two general paths to choose from:

1. Use the "sealant/polymer/acrylic" route: e.g. the Klasse "twins" or Zaino or Menzerna FMJ

OR

2. Follow the Carnauba route: A high quality glaze followed by a carnauba wax: e.g. 3M Imperial Hand Gloss and the carnauba wax of your choice.

Mixing the two methods (as you mention using Klasse (acrylic) and P21S (carnauba) is "generally" not done...not that it's a "bad" idea...most folks just don't do it.

I usually apply glazes with the PC, waxes/sealants by hand...and remove everything by hand...with MF towels.

As for washes in between....up to you...if you've driven it during the day, then by all means, rinse it off....but if you work on it at night, leave it garaged over night and start again in the a.m....there's no need to re-rinse it...

L.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default if its garaged and not driven, i wouldnt bother rinsing with water. hit it with a duster, and then..

a quick detail spray and MF towel. then you dont have to worry about getting all the water out of the cracks etc. if youve driven it, then u gotta wash it.

btw, I love Zaino for this reason the ZFX is a 'flash cure' additive, that allows you to apply multiple coats back to back, and not have to wait 24hrs for it to cure.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks - I will use my wifes car and keep mine in the...

garage between applications. This should make it a little easier.

I will probably do most of the work in the garage as well as I have direct sun on my driveway from 9am until around 6pm.

Thanks to all...hope it comes out as good as everyone elses I see.
Tim