Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Clayed with soapy water last night because I was in a relative hurry and got my car back after 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clayed with soapy water last night because I was in a relative hurry and got my car back after 5

months of sitting at a shop for prototyping products. Well needless to say I was not impressed with this method and much prefer using detail spray as clay lubricant. Well just though I would share. If you normally do it this way I would recommend switching.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How soapy was your water? You want to have extra soapy water (2-4X) if you use this technique.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've had a bad experience using soapy water too. I suspect in my case I used too much soap.

Using a Claymagic clay bar and Zaino Z7 wash I tried claying a friend's car (having had at least moderate experience claying before using detail spray on several other vehicles).

I found that lubrication was perhaps a little too good and I felt that I wasn't removing as much contaminants as I could have been using QD spray (regular Megs or Mothers stuff off the shelf).

I verified this on the hood of the vehicle using QD by using two separate pieces of bar from the same batch, making a few passes with QD in one area and a few passes with the soap mix in the other. Nowhere near a scientific test but just by feel I could tell it took more effort to remove using the soap mix (in terms of number of passes) than QD with no noticeable negative impacts using QD (no scratching/marring).

The worst part to me though was that due to my poor judgement when making my mix, the high soap content caused the clay bar material to not want to stick to itself. As I kneaded it while working the bar began to break apart into small pieces, many of which would rather stick to my hand than the bar itself. It turned into a real mess and I gave up on trying to use soap after that.

I don't doubt mixing a soap mix to use as clay lube will work, I just think that each soap is different and one needs to be cautious of the amount of soap one places in the mix.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it was extremely soapy, I use the Mark V soap, which I prefer over all others I have used.

nevertheless, detail spray is just a much nicer lubricant and still leaves the car feeling nicer after the process. I will do it again soon with the detail spray, what I did last night was good enough to suit my AR personality ha.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that is quite odd considering how sticky the clay magic is. As for the clay coming a part, that is

normal for clay magic and its probably the only thing that i hate that and how bad it sticks to your hands. I have tried adams, mothers, meguiars white and blue and clay magic, of those tested my two favs are clay magic and the meguiars blue in that order. my least favs were adams and mothers with mothers being the worst.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Ive always had excellant results with soapy water and clay....but do whatever works for you

its 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to use Zaino soap which they suggest to put in a spray bottle or in a bucket. Anyone else?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No problems here. In fact, the 911TT I posted last week was done that way.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skip the zaino soap...use detail spray. I like griots seed shine
Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No problems using soapy and clay........

you can do a panel, use another clean wash bucket, rinse. the car's ready for its next steps.

I use Meg's Gold Class and have used 1Z Perls with Clay Magic and no problems.

Quick Reply: Clayed with soapy water last night because I was in a relative hurry and got my car back after 5