Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

The Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Clear Bra

So, I got the bright idea late afternoon today to remove the clear bra from the nose of my '04 S4.

Firstly, let me say that I love just about everything about this car. I bought it used just over a year ago, and really took to the looks, the performance, and (aside from the cup holder fiasco incarnate in this model's design) the ergonomics.

The one thing that started to bother me was the clear bra, which didn't look so hot a year ago when the dealer fully detailed the car. Fast Forward to today and suffice it to say it sure didn't look any better.

Before:

So, I stood in my driveway, contemplating the fact that it is a No Return sort of activity. No take-backs. No "Oops...I changed my mind."
If I started, I'd have to accept whatever happened. Would the paint lift off? What will the paint look like under there?

I jumped in with both feet.

The sections on the fenders forward of the front wheels came off easily and cleanly.

"This is gonna be a cake walk!"

The sides of the bumper came off the same as the first two fender pieces, but as I worked my way toward the license palate, the glue began to separate from the clear film.

"No big deal," I thought. "It sure beats the adhesive sticking to the film and taking the paint with it."

Then the hood... ALL of the glue separated from the clear bra. The front 10" of my hood was like the largest shoe in the world stepped on a bubble gum factory.

Maybe it was engine heat (mid 90's today) or maybe this is the way it always goes with this sort of process, but either way, it was too late to contemplate the "why." I had to figure out how to get all of this goop off of my car.

Enter a 10 year old can of 3M's Enamel Reducer.

I had a half gallon of this stuff sitting in my garage from when I restored my '68 GTO, and a twist of the cap revealed it still had a good deal of "spirits" in the can.

Several techniques were employed: brisk rubbing, soaking and scratching off sections with my fingernails (this is akin to picking the nose of everyone in your town, because this yields countless gobs of gooey glue on your fingernails which refuse to flick off!), but I had the most success with the Soak, Sit, and Swirl method., so named (by me) because you Soak the rag with the liquid, let it Sit on the area for about 10 seconds, and then Swirl your hand on the area, pushing down firmly with your upper body.
This is not the "wax on/wax off, Daniel-san" swirl you are accustomed to. Instead, you plant your palm on the rag and twist at the wrist.

None of it is easy, and it took me two solid hours without stopping, exceptto change rags, to get it all off, but it was worth it. In the next few days, I'll give it a good bath and get an "after" photo for you all.

So my lesson to you is this:

If you're considering the dealer installed "clear Bra" option - don't!
If you already have it and are considering removing it - don't!

I kid. It serves its purpose, but the car definitely looks better without it, and a couple of hours of elbow grease is a small price to pay for such a visible improvement.

Just wanted to share my knowledge with like-minded folks!
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, thanks for sharing your process for removing the clear bra. I'm guessing 3M or some clear bra manufacturer makes a special spray product to help remove the adhesive (similar to window tint film remover?).

Interested to see the "after" photos.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
I'm guessing 3M or some clear bra manufacturer makes a special spray product to help remove the adhesive (similar to window tint film remover?)
Great. NOW he tells me...lol...

I just went to snap a few "after" shot.
Two digital cameras, two stone cold dead batteries...sigh...
Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know its too late but this might have helped:

wonder if anyone has tried it
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Every time I think I've decided to go ahead and get a clear bra for my new A5 I see something that gives me pause.

I still can't decide.