Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Clear coating / Paint protection????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

@Boston Guy it comes down to what you want to spend?

You have a sharp looking coupe and I can see in your picture some hairline scratches in the rear pillar, this is typical of a car a few years old and fortunately you still have a good shine.

When I got my 18 SQ5 on August 2020 it was in very good condition but I wanted some PPF applied to front clip and a ceramic coating applied for a higher level of protection.

If doing yourself, for maximum benefit of the end product meticulous paint prep is required.
1st step is a strip wash, you can use Dawn dish soap for this or buy strip wash from a company like Adam's Polishes or Chemical Guys.
Next I might do an Iron de-contamination with something like Iron-X or similar products, stuff stinks but it's amazing the embedded metal in your paint. On a black car you won't see the purple spots like you would on a white car.
Then re-wash your car with the strip wash.
Next "I" use a clay mitt with the fresh bucket of strip wash to suds up a panel and go in an "+" pattern until surface is smooth. You can use a traditional clay bar if you want but I find the clay mitt works well.
You can now dry car and before you apply your final product of choice wipe do each panel before applying with a isopropyl alcohol diluted 1 part of alcohol to 3 parts water and let dry.

The above will yield very god results but won't last like a professionally applied ceramic coating that might cost $1,500. Just doing PPF on my front clip was $2K but I need that level of protection for driving in western NY. The rest of the SQ5 had the above with paint correction and finished with Adam's Graphene Ceramic coating DIY, really durable coating but took me a full weekend of 8+ hour days to do this.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive alot of highway miles and my front end has held up very well to the debris.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What I am asking is what process(es) do folks here recommend for paint protection & preservation?
Old 09-09-2023, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazabw
What I am asking is what process(es) do folks here recommend for paint protection & preservation?
it depends on your desired level of protection. If you are worried about stone chips, you have to use a clear bra wrap. If you are more concerned with ease of keeping it clean, then a ceramic application will do the job.

if you use a clear bra, highly recommend you do a full hood and not a partial as over time dirt will find it’s way on the edge and can be noticeable.

laslty, up to you interest, skill, and $$ if you do all or none on your own. I let the pros do a clear bra and I had good success applying my own ceramic (got two years coverage even though my vehicle sits outside year round). YouTube is your friend.
The following users liked this post:
RCPrato (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree if you do paint protection film have it professionally applied and research who is best in your area. Do as much of the vehicle you feel comfortable with PPF on, for my SQ5 it is the entire front clip. Expensive but I own my cars 7+ years and know it will pay off in that amount of time.

I also did my own ceramic coating using the Adams Polishes Ceramic graphene kit, it took me a a full Saturday and most of Sunday to do all the prep work and paint correction but it has held up well over 2+ years.

Do what works for you.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm told & have read that you have to get "touch-up" treatments after a few months.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

As to touch up, yes most ceramics will recommend you apply a maintenance coating from time to time, even the professionally applied. I applied myself, and this is simple. If you had a professional ceramic, check and see what maintenance is required to keep any warranty.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

@Boston_Guy I am in 100% agreement with frequent washes and getting a good layer of a synthetic coating over your paint and then regular maintenance applications to keep the protection up.

The PPF (paint protection film) is nice but depending on the condition of the paint on the front of the car it may not be cost justified meaning if it has a fair amount of pits in paint from 7 years of driving you will still see those under the film.

So where do you start? From the picture it looks like you need some paint protection (fine lines showing on rear roof pillar) so depending on what your anticipated end result is you made need some light machining. If you don't have the equipment or knowledge you will have to find a auto detail shop or skip this step. There are shops around here that do what they call "Level 1" paint correction and put a synthetic sealer on the paint in the $400 to $500 range, then it's just up to you to do the maintenance applications. IMO I would skip paying a shop $1,500 for a full paint correction and application of a high end professional ceramic coating but if that is what you are looking for go for it!

If you are new to applying a sealer coat to your paint but are motivated to give it a try you can achieve some nice results with a full Weekend's worth of work. Go here and scroll down the page to their detailed instructions https://adamspolishes.com/pages/grap...ting-explained

The secret to any sealant treatment is getting the paint clean for best adhesion, something like this product is a good start for ease of application and results achieved https://www.chemicalguys.com/hydrosl.../WAC22916.html

Re-read post #11, I do this on cars all the time they are not my own SQ5 and owners love the shine and it holds up well.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCPrato
I am in 100% agreement with frequent washes and getting a good layer of a synthetic coating over your paint and then regular maintenance applications to keep the protection up.

The PPF (paint protection film) is nice but depending on the condition of the paint on the front of the car it may not be cost justified meaning if it has a fair amount of pits in paint from 7 years of driving you will still see those under the film.

So where do you start? From the picture it looks like you need some paint protection (fine lines showing on rear roof pillar) so depending on what your anticipated end result is you made need some light machining. If you don't have the equipment or knowledge you will have to find a auto detail shop or skip this step. There are shops around here that do what they call "Level 1" paint correction and put a synthetic sealer on the paint in the $400 to $500 range, then it's just up to you to do the maintenance applications. IMO I would skip paying a shop $1,500 for a full paint correction and application of a high end professional ceramic coating but if that is what you are looking for go for it!
If you are new to applying a sealer coat to your paint but are motivated to give it a try you can achieve some nice results with a full Weekend's worth of work. Go here<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->silver spring car detailing and scroll down the page to their detailed instructions
The secret to any sealant treatment is getting the paint clean for best adhesion, something like this product is a good start for ease of application and results achieved
Re-read post #11, I do this on cars all the time they are not my own SQ5 and owners love the shine and it holds up well.
When dealing with a check engine light due to modification in your WRX resolving it without Cobb software can be tricky. Consider consulting a professional tuner for assistance. They might address the issue without requiring a new Cobb V3 AP. Be cautious with third-party solutions like Planet Vulcan Labs X-Form, ensuring their legitimacy and compatibility before use.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCPrato
I am in 100% agreement with frequent washes and getting a good layer of a synthetic coating over your paint and then regular maintenance applications to keep the protection up.

If you are new to applying a sealer coat to your paint but are motivated to give it a try you can achieve some nice results with a full Weekend's worth of work. Go here silver spring car detailing and scroll down the page to their detailed instructions
The secret to any sealant treatment is getting the paint clean for best adhesion, something like this product is a good start for ease of application and results achieved
When dealing with a check engine light due to modification in your WRX resolving it without Cobb software can be tricky. Consider consulting a professional tuner for assistance. They might address the issue without requiring a new Cobb V3 AP. Be cautious with third-party solutions like Planet Vulcan Labs X-Form, ensuring their legitimacy and compatibility before use.
The following 2 users liked this post by banishray3:
laurs (11-09-2023), rattenia (11-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Clear coating / Paint protection????