Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Current 3M film versus Ventureshield, choice on a newly painted bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current 3M film versus Ventureshield, choice on a newly painted bumper

I've been looking into the latest and greatest paint protection films. I have 3M film on my B5, applied 3 years ago, and I understand there have been some changes in that film since then. However, I was not thrilled with the orange-peel type texture of the 3M film at the time. I understand it still has some of that now.

Conversely, Ventureshield is supposed to be more clear. However, I talked to a local installer who can get either material cut with Xpel patterns, and he said "venture does not have the texture of the 3M but from what I've heard the finish doesn't last as long. I really don't use venture too much. Only on dedicated show cars that don't see much road time. It's up to you though." I am very concerned with longevity and resistance, since I primarily put highway miles on the car and debris is one of the primary concerns. It definitely is not a show car.

I've been doing as much research as possible, but there are some people on the web talking about a 'new generation' of 3M film more recently and it's tough to get an up-to-date comparison picture of the two films at this point in time. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend who works at Porsche thinks Venture shield is awesome. She says clients are very impressed
Old 04-14-2008, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks... one thing to add...

... I am a little hesitant to depart from 3M, since they are the original and have a huge body of users so the likelihood of getting a 'bad batch' or something like that is reduced, but at the same time, it seems like recent anecdotal evidence on the forums is pretty well tilted toward Ventureshield.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find out what kind of guarantee youll get for Ventureshield.....
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

to the best of my knowledge they have a lifetime warranty
Old 04-14-2008, 11:42 AM

Default 3M purchased Ventureshield a few months ago. We switched from 3M to Ventureshield.

Ventureshield imo is a better product.

We used to use 3M, but we switched to Ventureshield for reasons outside of financial. Using either film, the cost is the same for us. I shall go into it a little bit. These opinions here are based on my experiences and what I've learned. I could be wrong and others experiences can differ.

A bit of history:

3M is the staple of clearbra. It started with 3M and it's a fantastic product. To my understanding, it was first used to protect helicoptor rotor blades. One of the engineers on that project brought it to the consumer market for paint protection and started Stongard in Bellevue, WA. I worked for him for a little while as he designed software that allowed for other businesses that wanted to offer this service to download pre-cut kits and then print straight to a plotter for installation. But I digress. 3M has a long history and let's face it..3M....HUGE.

Ventureshield...a new player. They're main business is purely adhesives. And that's all I know. =P

Advantage: 3M

The basics and paint shine through the film:

3M's film is strong and with a good installer (and certified) can lay the film flat without stretch marks and very minimal bubbling. My only gripe with 3M's film has been the orange peel that they put into the film to "match" the orange peel in car paint. There is so much orange peel in 3M's film that it's really murky so when applied it's very evident there is film on the paint. I've also learned that there is a clearcoat on the 3M film, and with this clearcoat over the vinyl, it scratches very easily.

Ventureshield is the same thickness as the 3M film and also with a good installer, can lay the film flat without stretch marks and very minimal bubbling. What I love about Ventureshield is the orange peel in the film is so minimal that it is not murky. Ventureshield's current film does not have a clearcoat type layer, so it does not scratch as easily as 3M. Apparently, 3M has a brand new film that no longer has a "clearcoat" and like Ventureshield does not scratch. I've seen this new film applied on one of my customer's car...definitely less prone to scratching but still a bit murky.

Advantage: Ventureshield

Yellowing:

Everyone's heard it... everyone's seen it. The film will yellow. You can slow the process by protecting the film (3M or Ventureshield) with wax or synthetic sealants, but bottom line it does yellow. It's inevitable...but again... you can slow the process. How you care for the film and how you use your vehicle determines the process. It's not like one day you walk out and it's yellow. It can yellow as quick as 6 months (it would take a lot...daily storage in exposed UV and no wax/sealant protection), but a well cared for film you'll hardly notice the yellowing...i mean years later maybe you'll see a tinge.

Advantage: Tie? Nobody...

Warranty:

3M offers a 5 year warranty on install defects and yellowing of the film

Ventureshield offers a lifetime warranty on install defects and yellowing of the film

Advantage: Ventureshield

Application:

3M's adhesive is super sticky. Upon installation, it's very rare that seams will lift. (This can vary though... if the film is custom and edges are wrapped and there isn't a lot of surface area for the film to stick, it can lift). In general, what I've seen...3M's film sets quicker and holds firmer from the get go, so there's less need for "fixes". The key to a fresh application is to let the film breath and dry. Sitting the car in rain after the installation does not help...it's actually bad for the drying process, but sometimes it happens and I've never seen a 3M film lift on the edges even when exposed to rain and humidity immediately after an installation.

Ventureshield doesn't have a big problem with this, but there have been a few instances where I've seen edges lift when a fresh install was exposed to rain and humidity. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened. Just as long as you're working with a reputable dealer/installer/shop, that's a fix, it's warrantied and in some cases, you'll get a whole new kit installed.

Advantage: I guess 3M, but experiences differ and there are so many factors around this

When you shop around for kits...do ask if it's a pre-cut kit or a custom kit. Ask about the warranty and get a warranty card or some form of documentation. The less exposed edges you have, the "cleaner" the film will look. Ask if the edges wrap around bumpers or hood edges. I'm sure we've all seen clear bra kits with dirt around the edges. That exposes the edges..(so you see lines) and overtime dirt builds up and will lift the film. You're paying a lot of money for this film...make sure you get what you ask for. Be specific if you have to. We're on a Ferrari forum, so let's think about what you're protecting with the film. Pre-cut kits don't wrap around edges so there are still exposed surfaces. A really good installer/shop will offer custom kits or "full coverage" kits that cover all leading surfaces. For Ferraris... I would hope that all kits that are used have very comprehensive coverage.

Clean and protect the clearbra

Do not machine polish the film...you can wrinkle the film. Plexus is a recommended cleaner for 3M and Ventureshield. 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol is another great cleaner. Apply wax/sealant on the film as well, but when you apply a protectant (especially carnauba based waxes) start with the product on the film and move outwards onto the non-clearbra'd surfaces. Never wipe towards the film. By going into the "lip" of the film, there's a higher risk that you'll just create more buildup on the edge of the film....and when waxes dry and sit overtime, it's a pain to remove it from film edges. When the edges are dirty... wrap a microfiber towel around a credit card, use some rubbing alcohol or soap and water and clean the edges. These steps ensure that you'll get the most bang out of your investment.

Bottom line...it's cheaper to protect the paint than to get it resprayed. =) Heck...when the time comes you want to sell the car and the film is crutch in the sale.. have a professional remove the film and voila...near perfect paint!

Hope this ramble helps.

Cheers!
Jin
Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heh, I saw your post while searching...

... thanks for the input. Has the 3M purchase of Ventureshield affected the different materials, or are there still two distinct types? And the most important question hopefully you can answer, does the Ventureshield offer less impact protection for long-term daily driver type use?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 PM

Default 3M's purchase hasn't affected the Ventureshield yet. We're glad. Whew.

Ventureshield is actually thicker than 3M. Go with ventureshield.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks...

... one final question - I think it was you who said it, but I read that 3M's stuff is 6mm plus 2mm of clearcoat, versus Ventureshield being 8mm of material (I assume what you're referring to). This apparently means scratches in Ventureshield can be mitigated to some extent with a heat gun. Does the lack of clearcoat have any negative effect on it?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:40 PM

Ventureshield does not scratch as easily as 3M and is optically clearer.

Quick Reply: Current 3M film versus Ventureshield, choice on a newly painted bumper