Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Detailing New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing New Paint

I am getting my bumper replaced and painted and I was wondering what I could do, as far as detailing, once it is installed. I know that I cannot use a Carnuba wax, but Shuld I just leave it alone? I have the following: AIO, UPP, NXT

Please advise!!! Thank you!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:12 AM

Default ask the guy who does the paint work what he recommends

Although most feel you can protect right away. I would lean towards nothing for at least a month, but thats because Im a wimp. Id probably go with Megs high tech yellow
Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: ask the guy who does the paint work what he recommends

*Newly re- painted vehicle- How long do you have to wait before you can polish or wax a newly painted vehicle surface? Paint is formulated with solvents (30-80% dependant upon manufacturer) once applied paint needs to dry and the solvents need to evaporate (out-gass) to enable the paint to harden (cure) if the paint is covered with a wax or sealant it will arrest the outgas/cure process.
*One exception is the application of a glaze (Mezerna Final Polish II, 3M<sup>TM</sup> Perfect-It III<sup>TM</sup> Show Car Finishing Glaze, Zanio Z-Polish) they are completely safe for fresh paint, as they allow the solvents to evaporate (off-gassing)
*Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured but vehicle washing is encouraged (avoiding harsh detergents or any car wash that uses a high-pressure spray or a wash that contains wax. Also avoid using quick detailing sprays (QD) as they also contain wax)

I do not know of a single paint manufacture that recommends applying wax, or any type of paint protectant (sealant) on a repainted vehicle/panel until a minimum of 30 days has passed and sometimes longer (I would recommend this as a minimum period even if the paint has been oven-cured). Dupont standard is to wait 90 days if the vehicle is out in the elements and to wait 120 days if it is kept in a garage most of the time.