Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Difference between hand polish and machine polish.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between hand polish and machine polish.

My thinking was that the machine polish is a litte more abrasive then hand polish, and it is something that you would want to use once or twice a year because it is abrasive. Im I correct in this assumption.

Which is best? Any thoughts and opinions would be great.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Part of it has to do with heat build up on the paint

Machine application generates more friction and higher paint temperatures, and the machine application products are formulated accordingly (i.e. some require that higher temperature to work effectively.) Some products can be applied via hand or machine, such as Meguiar's #9 and #7 (although they are not simple wipe on/wipe off products when used by hand, or at least they won't be very effective if applied in that manner.) I would use the product that was formulated for the application method being used.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Hand polish has a tendancy to dry out quickly when used with a machine. It is also very difficult

to remove (I think this is a product of it drying out). Going along with what Dave said, the machine polishes probably have more lubricants to keep heat down, which would explain why they don't dry out as fast.

You can go to the 3M website and look at their MSDS and see the different compositions if you are really curious.

My feeling, if you are using a machine, use machine polish, if you are using your hand, use hand polish.