Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Do ya strip the wax off with anything before applying 3M IHG??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2001, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do ya strip the wax off with anything before applying 3M IHG??

This pure glaze doesn't contain any cleaners, so I don't know if it takes the old wax off as you are applying it.

My options for my winter preop is to use
IHG vs. Meguiar no 9 followed by blitz 100grand.

any thoughts??
Old 11-27-2001, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Dish soap will take the wax right off.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use no 9 before IHG

IHG is mostly a filler glaze. While it might do some leveling, it is mostly a temp sollution.

If you used IHG then No 9.. the No 9 would strip all the IHG filler you just used on your car.
After using a more abrasive compound, its always a good idea to use a less abrasive one afterwards to remove any possible hazing that may have occured.

If you are having swirl problems, I would try

3M Finesse it / Finesse it-II (try I first, if its not doing enough, move up to II)
Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion Car Polish to removing hazing

Then use a good polymer sealent for protection (zaino/blackfire/klasse).

My fav would be 4 layers of klasse (one being the All in one cleaner) with a layer of blitz wax on top. The depth is amazing.

You can get all these products <a href="http://properautocare.com/">here.</a>
Old 11-28-2001, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wash it with dish soap first, I use Dawn.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All glazes and polishes remove wax, so no, you don't need to use anything first. Also, I wouldn't

use dish soap as others recommend as it's very alkaline, and may damage your car (it's dish soap, not car soap). The 3M IHG will do fine removing the wax.

Also, only use the HG on the pannels with swirls or scratches or oxidation. Then do the entire car with a nice polish. I recommend P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. It will make your paint shine, significantly increase the depth of the shine, and make the surface smooth as a mirror. The benefits of this is that it will be considerably easier to wax and wash when the surface is smooth.
Old 11-29-2001, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why would you use a polymer sealant on a german finish. Will eventually haze, and doesn't yield as

deep a shine. Also, why would you then wax over a sealant. The wax isn't going to stay long.

I use Blitz Wax, and love it, but you may be wasting some effort by using a sealer underneath.

Just some thoughts.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:32 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default One of the car care websites recommends this procedure.

I think it's properautocare.com. Anyway, they recommend the sealant for durability, and the carnauba in top for added depth and improved clarity (or something like that).

I've never tried it. I'm happy with the shine I get from Zaino, and Zaino does not recommend putting their product on top of a carnauba...so if I want to add subsequent layers of the polymer, I have to strip everything and start from scratch because of the carnauba.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:46 AM

Default polymer sealents (kinda long)

Polymer sealents have a longer duribility, and better protection than regular waxes.

The question should be "Why wouldn't you use a polymer sealent on a german finish?". From my experiance, german paint is very delicate and looks extremely good when well kept. To keep it in good condition starts with not letting it get damaged in the first place.

Polymer sealents protect better than regular waxes from the get go, plus you can layer them. Regular wax doesn't layer well.

Trust me, 3 coats of polymer is going to last alot longer than one coat of blitz.

Blitz may last 2-3months, I have had polymer last at least twice as long.

The reason to put a coat of blitz on top (note, this only works with klasse sealents) is to add more depth, plus another layer of protection. Klasse doesn't have as deep a shine as blitz, but its chemical properties alow a coat of wax to be put on top.

This provides a top layer of blitz wax, for some extra protection depth, and shine. With a several layers of polymer sealent underneith for extra protection and depth.

The end result is more depth, shine, and protection than just using Blitz.

I have never had, or herd of a polyermer sealent hazing. Though I have herd of Carnauba wax hazing.

Take a look around the Autopia Auto Detailing forums. The people who hang out there are all extreme detailing enthusiests (some go as far as detailing their spare tire). They almost all recomend polymer sealents over Carnauba waxes.<ul><li><a href="http://autopia-forums.com/ForumIndex.htm">http://autopia-forums.com/ForumIndex.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 11-29-2001, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have done alot of research, and spoken at length with the guy who owns Car Care Specialties...

I trust what he says as has never steared me wrong. From what he tells me, the chemical properties of german paint is different from American or Japanese paint, and that polymer sealants will haze the paint over time. Others on the S4 board have concurred, although I've never personally experienced it. Also, you can just as easily apply multiple coats of Blitz wax, and since it's so easy to use once you've polished and prepped the surface (twice per year), it takes about 30-45 minutes to wax the entire car. I wax it every 4-6 weeks (leaving a minimum of one week apart to allow the wax to set up). Never had a problem with it.
Old 11-29-2001, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought Zaino is a polymer.

Quick Reply: Do ya strip the wax off with anything before applying 3M IHG??