Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Embarrassed to say this.. but first time detailing my ride.. want to get stuff ASAP.. where to get??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embarrassed to say this.. but first time detailing my ride.. want to get stuff ASAP.. where to get??

I want to detail my car tommorrow, but I have no wax, polish, glaze ect. However there are a couple auto stores around me that sell car cleaning products (like pep boys). I was wondering if anyone could tell what is the best wax that pep boys sells (they seem to carry alot of maguires?). I know they sell lexol vinylex, 3m Imperial Handglaze, mothers claybar. I still need a wax. I assume that just about every kind of car shampoo is as good as another or am i wrong? What about the wheels? What can i pick up at local places that would suffice for a good detailing job on my car tommorrow???

Thx

Nate
Old 03-01-2002, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's what my routine is, and what I use. Other AWers have tried it with good results...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/575294.phtml">Detailing routine</a></li></ul>
Old 03-01-2002, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If your going with local.. I'd go with these..

Claybar: Mothers kit, but use a mixture of car wash soap and water (use 2x as much soap as you would to wash) instead of the quick detailer
Soap: Meguiars Gold Class
Glaze: 3M IHG
Wax: Meguiars Professional (it's one of the # series).. should be obvious which by the names
Interior dash/etc: Vinylex or Meguiars Natural Shine.. Vinylex may be too shiny for your tastes (it is for many).
Seats: You can use Vinylex or Lexol pH Cleaner
Drying: "The Absorber" followed by cotton terry towels
Wheels: I use simple green, then wax them when yer done
Shining the wheels: meguiars endurance
Windows: Eagle One 20/20 Vision

...all of these are good products that you can find pretty much all at pepboys. They're not as good as some of the things you can mail order perhaps, but they will do an excellent job.

I use almsot everything mentioned above andlove the results. My only exception right now is I use Blitz Wax. I will be ordering a few other products as well.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:48 PM

Default I use Zaino products and am very happy, but they are available mail order only.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.zainobros.com/">http://www.zainobros.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-01-2002, 06:31 PM

Does Meguire's Natural Shine have silicone in it?
Old 03-02-2002, 04:55 AM

Just one more thing, "Wurth Rubber Care" for weatherstripping.
Old 03-02-2002, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the bottle doesnt list the ingredients.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do use that also. Must not have written it down. My only complaint with it is that it's a bitch

to get off the windows, and it's impossible to not get any on the windows. Wish there was something better.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:31 PM

I'm Griot's Garage only ... if you've waited this long, buy the best and wait a little longer.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Griot's does make some nice things. But I wouldn't go as far as to say every product they make is

the best out there. You have to try them and make your own evaluations.

Griots tend to be quite pricey also, so while they are equal in alot of areas, I go with other's products as they are equal, and less costly.

Quick Reply: Embarrassed to say this.. but first time detailing my ride.. want to get stuff ASAP.. where to get??