Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Full write up & vid of Flex XC 3401 VRG Buffer by my friends at Detailed Image.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This does seem better than the PC on bad paint, but on paint with slight swirls

it may not be necessary. That being said having the ability to do it is great.

For example, I bought the PC for my Audi. My wife got into an accident with our Pathfinder (nothing horrible, a Miata cut her off at a light, slower speeds, and she hit the back of the car, no dents just scuff marks) now I wish I had a more powerful tool to try and get the marks out. I don't think the PC will get it out but I have not tried it yet.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try some 4" pads on the PC...you'll be amazed...
Old 11-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope the owner realizes you only get to do that once
Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The PC is very mild...

If you apply just a bit too much pressure, you'll notice it stops rotating. On the plus side, it's nearly impossible to screw up your paint, on the minus side, correcting moderate and severe imperfections in the paint require more abrasive compounds and pads, and very simply...time/patience. That's fine when you intend to correct a few problem areas on the paint, but when you're talking about an entire car, it's not the ideal solution.

I've spot treated areas with 10-20 continuous passes to remove imperfections...the PC is that gentle on the paint! I can't fathom that kind of routine on the entire car for anything beyond minor swirling.

If you ever get a desire to experiment with a rotary...let me know. Bring your own pads and paint though.... :-)
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Huh? My friends company is giving the code to free products w/ purchase.

Not a discount on the product itself.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you have a rotary?

I understand better the difference between machines having read this thread, but I think the PC is quite adequate for a well-maintained car. For a car in worse shape... obviously not so much.

If I ever have something that needs some serious work, I may take you up on that.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:09 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You'd be surprised how quickly it'll clean up the paint after a northeast winter.

Your car hides swirls pretty well...mine not so much. Regardless, that's probably the one time of year that even well-maintained paint needs a bit of work. The PC can do it...but the rotary can do it faster.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the new one?

Yeah, as you probably read I was really looking for a blue car, but at this point in my life I don't have regular access to washing facilities so quartz gray works out well in that regard too. I just didn't know that you had a rotary in addition to your PC, last we really talked detailing you sounded like you weren't too interested in it because of lack of time.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:45 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm not...

Last time the car got washed was sometime in July. Since then it's been on a road trip to Chicago and back and here we are in Nov. An arm injury from the spring has made it very difficult to do anything beyond a wash, so I gave it to Phil for a full detail back in June and that's the last time it got clayed, polished and waxed.

Despite the lack of time, I still keep tabs on this forum, tools of the trade, and the polishes and techniques that work. I picked up the rotary after watching phil work with it on the detailing day at KMD. I need to get a few fine polishing pads...I originally intended to use it only for swirl removal, and to use the PC for a final polish before wax. More and more I'm seeing fantastic results from the rotories given the right pad and polish. I'm thinking I should just eliminate the PC from the mix altogether.