Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Getting swirls/haze out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting swirls/haze out?

I recently got my car back from the paint shop. It was in to fix all the crap that another paint body shop did incorrectly.

I still don't understand why I have to constantly stay on ppl's *** in order to get it done right...then it never is done to my standards...I guess they are too high .

Anyways the new body shop did a decent job but I still have some swirls/haze that show up under extreme/direct sun.

I did a full detail (2 day effort) with the supplies I have (Menzerna FP/Glaze/FMJ, 3m SMR) and got most of them out however the doors still have quite a few. Any advice for getting them out completely?

I used 3M SMR and a white pad but I'm guessing I should probably use something like Menzerna IP and an orange pad. What do you guys think? I'm still new at the whole PC operation but I'm getting the hang of it. Hopefully next time around I'll get rid of everything and restore my paint to its orig. state!

I guess the swirls/haze is from them using something like a 2000grit wet sand when finishing the car...I requested they use something higher but you know how that goes!

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:07 AM

Default You don't have an abrasive enough product to remove the swirls..

a classic motoring yellow or orange pad with Menzerna IP and then a follow up polish with the FP with a white pad will alleviate most of them.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:09 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default 3M SMR leaves its own swirls...

As Kimchee says...you need something even milder to get the haze out.

I got the same thing after I specifically handed over a 2 week old black car and told the body shop I didn't want to see swirls on it. What's he do? Uses a glaze to cover up the machining marks, and delivers it to me. After the next few rains, the glaze washes away and PRESTO! Magic swirls! I thought about bringing it back, but with stuff like this, if they couldn't or didn't do it right the first time after you specifically talk to them about it, I suspect he'll just continue abrading away the clearcoat and leaving more swirls making things worse rather than better. Better off just dealing with it myself.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Former Vendor

Default I hate glaze, picked up the wife's new truck, looked perfect...

complimented the dealer for a great detail job 2 weeks later dam, they used GLAZE!!!!!

I've got to do the whole car over and probably 2 step it....
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Exactly! After the first rain they revealed themselves!

Bad thing about it is they put swirls/haze all over my car even panels that weren't painted. Not sure why they felt like they had to buff the entire car...probably thought they were doing me a favor

It really made me mad but like you I doubt it would have gotten any better taking it back!!

Thanks for the heads up I bet that is exactly what it is.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ok cool...thx for the help...

been meaning to pick up some IP. So I take it FP is slightly abrasive but packed with fillers?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, I don't think FP has fillers. . . it's just less abrasive than IP . .
Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Exactly
Old 12-21-2006, 11:03 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Same happened to me...

What typically happens is they blend out to surrounding panels, and by the time they finishing sanding and polishing the clearcoat, they have extended quite a distance outside the original damaged area. Of course they will apply the glaze all the way out to make everything look fresh and pretty.

In my case there was a key mark running down the length of the rear door, all the way to the taillight. So that's two panels that need to be painted. They blended up the C pillar, and there are clearcoat imperfections on the roof above the rear door. The machine marks are on the entirity of the rear door, quarter panel, C pillar, roof line extending to the A pillar, driver's door, and trunk lid.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor

Justin, let me know if you need anything its 20 off anything I have right now.

Quick Reply: Getting swirls/haze out?