Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Glaze question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glaze question...

What exactly is a glaze? Did the Klasse twins back a while ago and used many coats of the glaze topped by P21S. Funny, I'm on the road now and can't look at labels or my Autopia CD and last few days I've been thinking if someone asked me what the glaze is, I'd stumble for an answer. I know it looks good and thought it applied some hardening in a protection coat but the sealer does that...?
Also I put lots of extra coats on the cars hood roof and rear deck. Like eight I think. Then followed it up with equal or better coats of the P21S. This is all on a 1 yr old (now) silver S4. It looked awesome and I'm getting closer to doing it again for spring. Just need to refresh my memory on this stuff and don't want to waste layers that aren't needed. It was really hard to stop the first time because it was looking so incredible. I kept saying "one more quick coat on the hood"!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use a hand glaze...

In order to fill the swirl marks and from what I remember it has alot of the same qualities of wax but at the same time is water soluable and washes off after 4 washes or so. Not to mention it lets your paint breathe better for brand new paint jobs.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:55 PM

Default loaded question

klasse AIO is a "cleaner" and offers protection and shine all in one. the klasse sg is a sealant, with no cleaning properties whatsoever, but It will also add shine or depthness of color and additional protection

you cant really layer aio, as one coat will remove the prior, so your kinda wasting your time, other than to try to remove imperfections to a greater degree. you can however layer the sg, but there is debate on how much value that has. one coat should last 8-12 mos (debateable depending on conditons). Ive heard folks doing 10-12 coats one after the other, but it seems wasteful.

In your case I would do one coat of AIO (hit spots that may need more work 2x if needed) then hit it with the SG. wait a few days and you can do another layer of SG to ensure uniform coverage, and then you can add P21S on top once a month for added depth of shine. The p21s should bond to the SG (I think) and is there for show mainly, the protection will be with the SG base coat.

the terms glaze polish and wax are often used arbitrarily in the marketplace.

just my .02
Old 03-28-2005, 02:51 AM

Default What is a glaze, and what is it used for...

Glaze:
An emulsion formulated from polymer, oils and Carnauba wax that `fills in' small paint surface scratches, abrasions and swirl marks, without removing them. It's a purely aesthetic product (used by concourse entrants to provide a â€<sup>~</sup>finesseâ€<sup>TM</sup> shine, covering any surface imperfections) as its filling abilities usually wear off in a matter of days before the surface abrasions become visible again, washing the paint film surface will accelerate this process. After the application of a glaze the paint film surface will require a protective wax or sealant. It is used as a temporary protection for newly repainted paint surfaces to allow the paint solvents to vaporize (outgas)
jonM