Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Guys detailed my car and used Acetone on my Rims ;-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys detailed my car and used Acetone on my Rims ;-(

because of the water restriction here in Fl i had my car detailed by this company. they used Acetone on my rims. Now the rims are not as shinny as they used to be. was told that the Acetone oxidize the rim what should i do to get them shinny again and keep them that way. and tips would be greatly appreciated thanks john
Old 07-31-2001, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think acetone would hose your clearcoat. Have them buy you new rims!
Old 07-31-2001, 07:39 PM

Default how would i prove it..............

how would i prove they ruined the rims. may be a letter from the manufacturer stating that acetone will detroy the rims what do u guys thing thanks john
Old 07-31-2001, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Show them the rims, fast. Tell them they used to be shiny and they aren't any more. Got any pictures
Old 08-01-2001, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't they use acetone to remove the glue residue left from when they remove the

white adhesive protective covering from new cars?
Maybe I've got the products mixed up, but if it is acetone, they do wipe it on your cars finish (and I don't believe they re-wax the areas). So it may be a non-issue.
Old 08-01-2001, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've used acetone to remove glue after debadging with no damage to paint. It removes wax, but....

....in my (admittedly limited) experience it will not damage an automobile's finish. Acetone is extremely volatile and evaporates very quickly. Used for cleaning purposes (it's a solvent, after all) with a rag, it disappears (thru evaporation) from the surface being cleaned in a matter of seconds after wiping. I've used acetone on a variety of materials, including various plastics, and never had it damage the surface of the material. I therefore find it hard to believe that acetone is responsible for damaging decadude's wheels. Admittedly, acetone could probably damage a lot of things if they were kept soaked in it for a long period, but I can't envision that happening here. Then again I can't imagine why anyone would use acetone on alloy wheels to begin with, since I don't think it would be particularly effective on serious brake dust deposits and the like. More likely the detailers didn't use acetone at all, and rather used an acid-based wheel cleaner that etched the clearcoat on the wheels. This is a common mistake.