Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Hey all you "Mothers" out there (you know who you are)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey all you "Mothers" out there (you know who you are)...

I just invested(?) in the Mothers 3-step car care system (pre-wax cleaner, sealer/glaze, carnauba wax paste) AND the clay bar kit. Question: is the pre-wax cleaner doing basically the same thing as the clay bar (if I clay bar the car, should I still use the cleaner)? If so, when would I use JUST the cleaner and not the clay bar?

BTW, all of you Mother haters out there, be kind; the last car I owned got washed TWICE A YEAR, so this is a major step up for me
Old 06-06-2006, 06:26 PM

clay is a step unto itself. So consider it 4 steps and good luck
Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 PM

If he does the 4 step right he can just walk around the car in 15min at the most and its done.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:40 PM
yam
AudiWorld Member

Default IMO Mother's is one of the better off the shelf products. I like their "Reflections" line

tire spray, and California Gold Car Wash.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 15 min ??!! It took all day to do my wife's car...

and my arm is about to fall off!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just did the same this past Sunday....here's what I did:

1) I washed the car Saturday night with Mother's wash
2) Started at 6:30 Sunday morning with Starbucks in hand by claying the entire car (with info help from this forum) including windshield, windows, lights, etc..
3) Did Step 1 just on the front of the car, bumper to front doors (bumper, hood, front panels)
4) Step 2 entire car...read Troy's Guide regarding the polishing step (the money step)
5) Step 3 (carnuba wax) entire car including mirrors and wheels (pain in the ***)..let the wax sit for awhile (see multiple posts in this forum on this subject)

After cleaning the inside, I was done by 11:30...and my arms are bigger than Arnold's now!!!

The car (RS6) looks fantastic; I have Daytona Gray and the metallic look is unbelievable in the sunshine (the money step for sure is responsible). Make sure you have microfiber towels in my opinion (I used quite a few of them)

Good Luck
Old 06-07-2006, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think hate is the word, probably more like we prefer other things . . Mothers Reflections .

line is pretty good as I understand it.

Also if you do clay, personally I think Clay Magic's clay bar is better than Mothers' one. I think the blue colored Clay Magic is the lesser agressive vs red. Highly recommend that for off the shelf clay product.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I just did the same this past Sunday....here's what I did:

Rock on! I did the same with my wife's Civic hybrid (wash the night before, clayed the whole thing, step 1 on the front only, etc.)- the car looks better than it did off the showroom floor...

I'm halfway through mine now (just finished step 1)- I've got Popeye forearms!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default whoa....I have a Madone also, same wheels too..got mine the first year...

according to my shop I had the 2nd one in So Cal...I love this bike...
Old 06-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: whoa....I have a Madone also, same wheels too..got mine the first year...

Is yours an original Madone or an SL? Both are sweet rides...

I'm loving that I shaved about 5 lbs off compared to my old bike . I'm still not 100% on this setup, though; I developed a wicked shimmy coming down the backside of Hogpen Gap (part of Tour de Georgia route) at about 45 mph. Scared the crap outta me, and I'm wondering if it was the bearings in the wheels, the headset, or just something weird with the bike itself. Made some minor adjustments, and I'm heading back up there for a second try...

You can see my bike at http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2385801 on page 5 near the bottom.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Hey all you "Mothers" out there (you know who you are)...