Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Hi, my first time in this forum I believe, What is the weapon of choice for a nice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, my first time in this forum I believe, What is the weapon of choice for a nice

wax job. I had used Meguires Gold for my 2.8, this one needs it, so what do you suggest. I've heard others rave about Zymol, and some who think it's crap. Going to do claybar first.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome to the detailing forum....

there's a wealth of knowledge.

Again, Zymol, the stuff you can get at Autozone and Kmart is considered crap. As well, most Meguiar's products are felt in the same regard.

There are a number of posters here that do professional quality details in their garages. Most have random orbital buffers, or do it by hand.

Generally you'll need:

A good soap (1Z, even Meg's NXT for low cost option)
Clay Bar (clay magic from autozone is ok)
Polish
Wax/Synthetic Sealant

I am a fan of Einszett products. I think they give you the most bang for the buck, and have great durability.

Some of the other posters will chime in. Everyone has their favorite products. Generally the ones recommended here are a significant step up in quality (shine, durability) than the stuff you're going to find in most auto stores.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2007, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks! Better than the flaming I got from a certain person in my C5 forum/

I tried the Clay Magic in a couple of places, down by the rear of the car, looks like it will need something stronger. Yeah, the Mequire Gold only lasts about two months out here. Where can I expect to find the Einszett waxes? I have to admit I've never heard of them.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Yes welcome. I'm quite the n00b, but after reading up here I went with the Zaino products

and have been very happy. I get good 'beading' 6 months or longer, but usually apply another coat around that point.

I'm using Z1, Z2, Z5 with ZFX, & Z6 for touch-up externally, and the leather cleaner/leather in a bottle for the seats.

100% cotton Made in the USA towels to dry the exterior. Bed bath and beyond has them for @$10 each.

For the dash, trim, etc.. I've been happy with 303 aerospace protectant which is another recommendation from this forum.

I've also used Adams Carpet and Upolestry cleaner to get a small coffee stain out, but haven't really had to use it much yet. Hopefully I won't "Cashmier Interior"
Old 07-01-2007, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One thing is for certain

EVERYONE has their own way of doing things, but the basics are:

Wash
Dry
Clay
Polish
Wax

You can spend hundreds on a wax or a sealant, but unless you're doing things the right way then the products you purchase won't be worth the money.

IMO, read into this forum. Watch for posts where people post their "before and after" pictures as well as what they've done for their detail process. This will help you along in the decisions on which products you believe will work best for you.

FYI - I use either Menzerna FMJ or Zymol Glasur for my "waxing" process. I find the FMJ to be very fast and the results tremendous once you've run a polisher on the paint...On the other hand, I enjoy the bare handed waxing process required by the Zymol product as I guess I'm just strange like that, not to mention the results are just as outstanding.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/52882.phtml">One of Phil's recent details...</a></li></ul>
Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good, and again, the Zymol is readily available. What commment do you have as to the other posts

about it being a PITA to apply. I can't deal with a prodcut that will take Hercules to apply or remove. Gotta be done by hand.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:42 PM
yam
AudiWorld Member

Can't go wrong with Menzerna products. I also like to support the forum sponsor. 15% 4th July sale
Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you can expect 6 months with 1Z Glanz.....

if i can get 6 months along the great lakes during the winter months, parked outside, it will last a long time where the weather is more sunny.

a good detailing base...wash, clay, polish, seal will go a long ways.

you can always top it with a caranuba if you'd like. even the best caranubas have a very short lifespans 3-5 weeks.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Zymol cleaner wax (blue bottle)...

is absolutely worthless. Avoid at all costs.

I've been using the Glasur for about 2 months now, and I'm extremely pleased with the results. As for removal, following the instructions yields a product which is easily removed with a microfiber polishing cloth and little to no pressure at all...however, let it set on your finish for too long and yes, it's hard to remove. The Zymol will not haze over like other paste waxes you might have used. You will apply it, wait 2-5 minutes, and then wipe clean.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow, that would be good. I'm seeing all these strange names, mostly Deutch sounding. Do you

have to order them online?

Quick Reply: Hi, my first time in this forum I believe, What is the weapon of choice for a nice