Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

How do you use the clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you use the clay bar?
Old 05-01-2002, 10:03 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Search the forum...it's been posted many times.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default here's a portion out of the 'FAQ' I havn't finished <duck>

What is clay bar and what do I use it for?
-Clay bar is a bar made from clay (and other things). It is used to remove contaminents from your paint.

How do I know when I need to use clay bar?
-Run your hand of the paint on a freshly washed car. If you feel gritty substances, than you need clay bar. These gritty substances are embedded into your paint and the clay bar is the proper way to pull them out.

Where can I buy clay bar?
-The easiest place to find clay bar is at your local auto parts store (Discount Auto Parts, Auto Zone, PepBoys, etc.). Mothers sells a kit complete with quick detailer.

-3M Clay Bar can be purchased directly from 3M

-Clay Magic can be purchased from http://www.autodetail.com/abi001/showdetl.cfm?&amp;User_ID=22050&amp;St=3937&amp;St 2=50481891&amp;St3=34620411&amp;DS_ID=19&amp;Produ ct_ID=776&amp;DID=413

-Griot's Clay Bar can be purchased from http://www.griotsgarage.com

Is there a difference in the brands of Clay Bar?
-Most of the people here use the Mothers Clay Bar and like it. Some have used the 3M bar and complainted of it being too sticky. The Griot's bar is very good but expensive when compared to the Mother's. Not many people have used Clay Magic, but the few that have used it have liked it.

How do I use a clay bar, it sounds like I could do a lot of damage?
-Do not fear, using a clay bar is 100% safe when done properly. The main thing to remember is to keep the surfance of the car WELL LUBRICATED. Lubrication for clay bar is typically obtained using a quick detailer spray, however, this can get very costly. Another alternative is to use a high concentrate form of car wash soap and water. Using twice the concentrate you would normally use to wash the car is a good rule of thumb. This is much cheaper than quick detailer, and just as safe and effective.

-The proper way to use the bar on the car is to begin with a clean, freshly washed car. Highly lubricate the surface (more is always better)then take a clean, flat area of the clay bar, and glide it across the paint in ONE direction. You should hear the clay bar pulling out those contaminants. Continue over an area of the car until the bar glides effortlessly and makes no further sounds. Continue to lubricate as you use the bar. When the surface of the bar gets dirty, fold it over to a new clean surface.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks...
Old 05-01-2002, 04:30 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In terms of a "clay lubricant"...aren't they're less costly alternatives?

After all, specially formulated car wash is pricey, but using it to clay doesn't make use of its benefits. Can there be any harm to using a cheaper, but mild soap alternative, such as Woolites, or baby shampoo? Granted, it doesn't look as cool in the garage.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well, car wash soap isnt very expensive.

A bottle of meguiars gold class or sonax is like $8, and you don't even use the amount you'd use to fill a gallon bucket, because your mixing it to put in a spray bottle.

I wouldn't use some highly expensive car wash soap thats for sure, but using a meguiars gold class or sonax level product isn't that costly. Probably costs 25c.

But you could use something like dish soap (Dawn is what I use before a wax job).
Old 05-01-2002, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Looks like some real good FAQ stuff there but it makes me want more..FAQ Tease !! ;-)