Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

How long does it take to install clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does it take to install clear bra?

I'm interested in paying a professional to have X-Pel clear bra installed on my front bumper, but am getting two stories from two different people.

One installer is saying it takes about an hour, and then I can drive off. Another installer is saying he needs the car for the entire day because he says it needs time to cure.

Which one should I use?
Old 10-05-2003, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It depends....

First of all, it is not an issue of "curing." The material will stay in place once it is down. It will take a few weeks to really cure out, depending on the thickness of the material that is applied. You can wash the car immediately after the install, but I usually wait overnight. You can apply wax to it just like it was a painted surface.

The time involved should be devoted to the level of attention to detail by the installer. There are precut templates and custom installs (where all material is cut to fit). A good custom job will involve removing the grill & lights and wrapping the material around the inside of these openings. When everything is reassembled, you will see no lines (beginning/ end of material). This type of install will take all day, not an hour. I assume you are also going to wrap the leading edge of your hood (first 5 or six inches), plus the leading edge of the quarter panels.

If both installers are saying it is an hour job, but the second says it needs to sit all day and "cure", my advice is to get a third quote.

P.S. I have had the material applied to both of my Audi's and my Harley.