Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

How long does those carnuba wax last?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does those carnuba wax last?

i dunno how to spell that thing
i m using meguiars high tech yellow wax, what a name, hah...anyways

i just washed my car, the wax is like 2 weeks ago, and my car aint smooth as glass as it is...

how long do they last, or my coat is too thin? do i need like few layers?
Old 10-03-2002, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends on the wax....

Cleaner waxes don't last as long as normal carnauba waxes and not all plain carnuba waxes are created equal. Also, the weather and frequency of washing will affect how long it lasts as well. Figure at least 2 months of protection for a good quality wax(The Meguiar's should fit in there but I have not used it) with decent weather, not too hot or too much rain/snow.
Even if the surface doesn't have that buttery smooth feel the wax is still protecting the paint, you can tell by how well water beads on the surface of the paint. After washing your car use a quick detailing spray and it'll bring the smooth feel back.
Also, I have noticed that with Blitz I don't need to use the QD spray as often. Even after several washes the surface still feels smooth. P21S would lose that feel after a day or two.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Not more than about 30 days ...................

Longer by a little if it is a garage queen.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:03 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default A few layers is always good, but John is right...if you want that "just waxed" feel, get some Quick

Detailer, and give the car a once over with that stuff after every wash (it will also help extend the life of the wax).

If you start to feel grit and stuff stuck to the paint, then you'll probably need to run a clay bar over the paint to get it smooth again. Follow with you regular wax routine, since the clay will remove wax.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:26 PM

Default meguiars 26, for me, beads at least 2 months....

I apply thin layers, globbin it on keeps the wax that's in actually contact with the body from drying properly. Drying first from outside to in.

I use #7 prior to waxing.
meg's microfiber does a good job of rapidly removing the glaze and it's exessive "essential" oils.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:05 PM
Rest In Peace

Same here, I think because it's a carnauba polymer blend it is easy to apply and lasts well . . .
Old 10-08-2002, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'll disagree....

Durability can vary a lot among different waxes. The inexpensive ones with relatively low carnauba content won't last long, that's true. But a quality wax with high carnauba content will have good durability. My experience with Blitz wax says it lasts a whole lot longer than 30 days. My usual routine is to do a full detail with two coats of wax in October or early November, and then not again until late March or April. In those months the cars go through the usual hazards of winter in the Northeast - rain, snow, ice, road salt, etc. And by Spring there's still beading going on, still wax on the cars. Now, there's no doubt that the more you wash the shorter the wax cycle will be. And in winter I end up washing pretty rarely (more frequently I'll just do a rinse to get the salt - no rubbing tho), so that probably helps the longevity I'm seeing. Also the cars are garaged...but they're used every day. In other words, normal driving patterns. I think a whole winter's worth of durability in these circumstances is pretty good. Each Spring I do a full detail again anyway, so it doesn't need to last any longer than that.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Most good waxes should provide protection for up to 3 months.