Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

How valuable is your Porter Cable? Should i get one?..(more)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How valuable is your Porter Cable? Should i get one?..(more)

im sure most will say get one but im hesitant because of a few reasons...
1. dont really have a lot of money to throw around, and while i can afford it, i can also think of a lot of other things id rather buy.
2. i dont do the entire detail thing that often, mostly because im so damn tired of buffing all that stuff over and over.
Not only is it tiring, but i really dont have the time to do all that stuff.
(which ill assume that IF i get a PC, then i might be more willing to do the detail routine because it will be less of that painful bull**it buffing as well as cut down time)

Leading me to another question... how often do you guys actually use your buffer?
And those that come up w/ those super long detail routines, how regularly do you actually do it?

So while I idealy would like to be able to do a through detailing routine more often and reap the rewards of looking at a beautifully sparkling car (which lasts about a week) I dont know how often i would get the time to do it and use the PC which i would feel was a waste of money if i dont use it enough.

Ok, that was long.. thanks for reading/responding to my dilemma!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:11 AM

Default get it....you'll never look back

sorry...i would have answered all of your othe questions but i got wax hazing up on the car. PC detailing routine = less than 2 1/2 hours.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you use it twice a year, you'll be glad you got it.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:13 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I only use it once or twice a year...

however the results do last through the course of the year (with intermittent hand applications). If you get it, expect to spend between $200-250 total, with all the supplies you'll need. It's not a small amount of money, however this tool can do things that just take forever by hand, and it can do them better. Does it save you time? A bit, but not enough to use the time savings to justify the costs.

I dunno...that money I've spent on this is disposable income. If you truly have better things to do with your money...then don't buy it.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: How valuable is your Porter Cable? Should i get one?..(more)

I'd say, based on what you posted, if you could borrow one from someone every few months you'd be better off. I use mine four or five times a year on my cars, but I do other people's cars too, so it is worth owning one. A lot of people can get great results by hand with the right products. Of course it takes a lot more work too.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:24 AM

Default I recently got one...

And I do not regret it.

I have only done 3 cars with it so far and have noticed the following trends:

Does it save time? Yes... kinda. Individual steps take a little less time, but they are not significant in some instances. What I find to be the real time-saver is that I am not taking as many breaks because I am not as tired/sore. Also, because I am not as tired, it makes the time spent much more tolerable/enjoyable. I have also noticed that because I am not as tired, and the steps take a tad less time, I add steps and that improves the look of the car. It also makes me want to do it more often. For example, I'm a tad excited when I can justify the time to detail my own car again in another month.

I hope that helps a little (from a PC noob).