Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

I am a detailing NOOB...and so,

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am a detailing NOOB...and so,

....I want to know (without the acronyms) what a good wax job (beading water, shine, etc) would consist of. Nothing obsessive, just a really good layer of protection for this coming winter. And if people could use numbers/bullets with steps and the products used it would be nice

thanks,
TD

Searching only confused me, and if I read one more post with people just rattling off products I'm going to go nuts.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:08 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The key to a good coat of wax is cleaning the paint really really well.

If there is anything stuck to your paint, the wax will breakdown quicker, and it won't last past the end of the month.

*Claybar (search on usage tips) - cleans grit off the paint.
*3M Imperial Hand Glaze - cleans remaining dirty film from the paint, feeds paint will oils, and leaves fillers behind that temporarily hide swirls.
*Wax of your choice - One Grand Blitz or P21S Carnauba Wax are favorites, but usually not available locally. Most detailing places online carry them though. The P21S is a nice wax, but not particularly high in longevity. It might make it halfway through the winter. Don't use a cleaner type wax! (read the can)

There, that's the basics. You can go to your local pepboys and get the above stuff (except the wax - Pepboys has meguiares wax, which is also quite good).