Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

I'm curious as to why no one likes Zymol?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm curious as to why no one likes Zymol?

I was looking through a catalog that carries the stuff and they were selling some $hit for $440 and $150. What the hell they got in there?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As I recall, Zymol's leather cleaner/conditioner isn't terrible, but Lexol is superior.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 AM

Default It's not that people don't like it

if you're an oldtimer like me, you're over it already. It was one of the first premium brands and has a strong connection to the BMW Car Club, and was vaguely Germanic and exotic, so it was the wax of choice for a long time. But it has a reputation of disappearing about an hour after you've applied it, and using their version of polish/clay (I think it's called Clean) was very unpleasant.

If you're a noobie, there are so many other choices you never get around to it. Frankly, I think they also hurt themselves with their brand extension line that is sold at Pep Boys and Target. Apparently it got a good rating from Condemner Reports so lots of non-pros probably use it, but none of that zyrtle wax for me.

Once I found clay, IHG and Blitz, I didn't need zymol anymore. It worked its way so far back in my goodie cabinet I forgot I had some, I've been using it up on the wife's GTI.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:12 PM

Default If you want to splurge get Zymol Clear

It is their shampoo and it is stunning. It leaves a slick, bright finish. The conditioners do a job on my wool mitt too. They leave it nice and buttery soft.

At $33 for 16oz, it had better rock.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've used Zymol Carbon and the Leather Treatment- ->

Both are great products..
Old 09-14-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: If you want to splurge get Zymol Clear

I agree, one of the best car wash concentrates for lubricant (scratch avoidance while washing)
FWIW- It makes the best (and probably the most expensive) clay lubricant
JonM
Old 09-14-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: It's not that people don't like it

Zymol Lehm-Klay $95 (for sale to professionals only)

Back in the 60's Klasse / Zymol was deriguer for concors entrants Even I will admit there are equal /better products out there for lots less $$
Old 09-14-2005, 07:04 AM

Default Who says no one likes it?

The Carbon, Creame, and Ebony waxes are quite popular. Their products smell so good, it's like taking your car to the spa!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, my reason for the comment was...

After seeing the stuff in a catalog, i did a search function here and the comments that came up didn't seem to good. As a reader I see alot of other items mentioned, so I was curious.
But in all seriousness, WTF do they put into a carnuba wax that is worth $455?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 AM

Default I know people that swear by it. I will say...

That Zymol waxes have the highest carnauba content of any carnauba on the market. The expensive ones can't be applied without using some heat to melt the wax before wiping on.

Zymol buyers come in three categories:

1) Those that have older cars that want to "feed" their older paints with the oils that are contained in the Zymol waxes

2) Those that have black cars with blemishes like the Zymol Ebony which helps mask problem areas and still give a great carnauba shine.

3) Those that have so much money they don't know what to do with it.

Personally, I think Zymol is overkill for most of us, because paint technology has advanced and because we don't keep our cars for very long. But for those with older showcars that want a quality wax that helps renew the paint, it can be a good choice. But to spend more than $50 for the wax is, imho, ridiculous.

Quick Reply: I'm curious as to why no one likes Zymol?