Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Issue with Lexol Conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Lexol Conditioner?

Today, I bought lexol leather cleaner and lexol leather conditioner for my new A3 with black leather seats. The car is literally a week old, so I didn't bother cleaning any leather. As a preliminary test (thank god), I applied a small amount of leather conditioner on a terrycloth towel and rubbed it onto an inconspicuous section of leather on one of the rear seats. As the instructions directed, I waited a minute and then wiped the section clean with a fresh towel.

The section I treated now feels *less* smooth than the surrounding leather. When I glide a towel over the seats, it practically floats over the leather until it gets to the place I treated, where it almost drags on the leather now. The leather looks a bit shinier, and less textured -- as if it's been sealed. The end effect is that it looks kinda cheaper and more like pleather or something.

This wasn't the effect I was hoping to have. I was hoping to have the leather feel at least as soft and supple as it already is and to maybe look a bit more conditioned.

What might have I done wrong? Is there possibly some sort of film on the leather from the factory that needs to be cleaned? Should I buff the leather immediately after applying instead of waiting for it to dry? Before you suggest this -- I assure you I used the conditioner and not the cleaner. I used the darker brown bottle, not the orange bottle. Maybe the leather will feel softer tomorrow, or maybe it will feel softer once poeple start sitting on it and stuff. I dunno. I hope I'm not overreacting. Final question -- should I not even bother protecting the leather right now? Does it ship from the factory with some layer of protection already?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 174 Likes on 153 Posts
Default I've used both Lexol cleaner & conditioner on my grey leather seats w/o any problems...

I don't know if Audi ships new leather seats w/ a protective film or not (you might check w/ your dealer). I've also used Lexol products on my dark blue leather sofa w/o any of the problems you've described. You might try Griots Interior Cleaner on your leather first before using the Lexol conditioner. I also don't think you need to do anything to brand new leather seats until you've used them awhile.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:59 AM

Default They all seem to initially change the leather in feel and...

looks. I've found if you buff it out later or even the next day and certainly after use it begins to regain it's original looks and feel. Should be ok to use, I've used Connelly's and Lexol on mine with no issues.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Default I checked it out today, and ...

It seems a tad softer than it felt yesterday, but still less soft than the surrounding untouched leather. It also appears a tad shinier than the surrounding leather. I think i'm gonna hold off on doing my seats for the time being.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd, no problems with Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner....

The A3 does not have all leather seats, he might have shined a piece of pleather.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Which parts are pleather?

I shined the front rectangle of the rear seat -- the part that your thighs would rest on.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find lexol too greasy too. would highly recommend spinneybeck
Old 03-19-2006, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that's probably pleather...........

Audi vinyl...

only the seating surfaces, and part of the seat back are leather. The bolsters, sides, sides of the seat and seat back are pleather.

The part you but your butt on is leather.

My old 03 A6 had "leather seating surfaces" but I used lexol's products just the same.

My 02 Avant has premium all leather, and I have had no problems using it on it's leather. Open the door it has the smell of a German leather. My 03, smelled a little like leather, but none of that great full leather smell.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:29 PM

Default That's an f-ing crime

So most of the seating material is pleather? I don't *really* care - it still looks like leather and feels nice, but be honest Audi! So I'm still ok to use lexol on the whole seat even though many sectons are plastic?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:33 PM

Default BTW, from your description, the section I treated was leather

It's part of the seat bottom, not the sides or the bolster. Thank you for the info!

Quick Reply: Issue with Lexol Conditioner?