Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Just about to order a PC buffer from Detailers Paradise, questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just about to order a PC buffer from Detailers Paradise, questions...

PC 7336 package and Klasse AIO/SG

Anyone else order this polisher? Is it any different from the 7424?

Should I get extra pads and stuff? I have to admit I always space out when guys like Raj start talking about orange pads, white pads, etc.

I will be searching the archive i promise, just wanted to open up the conversation.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:20 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Orange pads, white pads, blue pads, green pads, goodwood pads, purple pads...

7336 and 7424 are essentially the same machine. Only difference is which counterweight is included with the machine. The 7336 includes a 6" counterweight, the 7424 has a 5" counterweight. You'll want the 6" if you plan to use a velcro backing plate, and swappable pads (do this). The kit from detailers paradise does not include a backing plate. I would suggest ordering from coastal tool (search), as they offer the 7424 in a kit with a velcro backing plate and the 6" counterweight.

As for pads, each company sells a different one, so orange at one place may not be the same as the orange pad at another. In general, I would keep a stock of pads handy. One for medium cutting, one or two for light cutting, and one finishing pad. If you want to economize, get the one for light cutting, and call it a day. That's the one you'll probably use most.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

someone needs to write a Porter Cable FAQ ... i can never understand it
Old 09-24-2003, 08:01 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Is there an FAQ for lazy people...I think that's what we need.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:03 PM

Default Here is a summary

The 7424 and the 7336 are the same machine. The only difference between the two is the 7336 comes with a 6 oz counterweight. This heavier weight is important when you switch to aftermarket pads and a backing plate as it helps to reduce vibration.

The polisher comes with a white foam pad that is made for Porter Cable by a pad manufacturer called Lake Country. It is a good general purpose polishing pad. It isn't dense enough for removing heavy swirls or oxidation, but serves most people quite well.

If you want to start switching pads, you will need a hook/loop backing plate. The 6 1/2" pads from Lake Country-the largest recommended size for the PC-have a 5" swatch of loop fiber on the back, thus you need a 5" backing plate. Here is a general guideline for pads and polishes.

Yellow-is a dense cutting pad for removing heavy oxidation and swirls. Best used with a compound. Expect to have to follow this pad with a softer polishing pad and lighter abrasive.

Orange-is a light cutting/polishing pad. You can pair it with a compound for a bit of cutting or a lighter abrasive for polishing. Some like to use it with Klasse to add a bit of bite to the cleaning action. Orange is by far the most versatile pad.

White-is a polishing pad best used with a light abrasive on new cars and cars in good condition.

Black/Gray-is a very soft pad for finish work. One might use this for glaze or applying a final wax coat.

Oh, and thank you for shopping with us. Be sure to mention AudiWorld and I will add a polish sample.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:50 AM

Thanks guys--that helped