Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Just completed NASA wheel refinish. What is best way to remove clear coat overspray?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just completed NASA wheel refinish. What is best way to remove clear coat overspray?

The clear coat feels rough (sandy) in the areas where I feathered the spray (though it's smooth where I laid it on thick). How do I fix this? Clay bar?

Link to NASA wheel refinishing method.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually a medium grade clay will help remove paint overspray. Medium grade bars are more aggressive than the fine grade bars and will give you results faster. If you have a fine grade bar, try that first, but it may be time consuming.

Overall, how'd the refinishing process go? Good luck, keep us posted how things turn out.

George
Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestion, I will see if that works. Someone else suggested using a Mr. Clean magic eraser too.

Overall, I'm pleased with the physical repairs (sanding and smoothing of scraped lip). But the perfectionist in me is dissatisfied with the paint match and clearcoat overspray. The metallic flakes in the rattle can paint are larger (more visible) than the factory paint (which must have nano size metallic flakes because I can't see them). The factory wheels almost look to be finished in Hyper Silver, which is probably near impossible to match with paint out of a can anyway. It passes the 10 foot test and the wife doesn't notice, but I know exactly where the repair is everytime I see the car.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful if you use the Mr. Clean eraser, it's basically like giving your wheels a light wet sanding. Hopefully claying does the trick for you.

If you passed the 10 ft test, then it probably was a success. Unless you're taking it to a wheel repair professional, chances are that's as good as you'd get using that particular technique.

Keep me posted how things turn out.

George