Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Just got a 5 yo car as a third and i want to clean it up a bit, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 5 yo car as a third and i want to clean it up a bit, need help.

First the windows. Very water spotty, filmy, and streaked. I tried Stoner's Invisible Glass to no avail. Any ideas?
Next the paint. I always keep up with my paint from day one but never restored paint. It's not too bad, similiar to the windows with water spots, water streaks, and some road tar and swirls. I figure clay bar is in order for sure, but not sure what else to do and in what order.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:43 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Here you go...

1. Clean up the water spotting on the windows. Vinegar works well for me. Standard household vinegar works fine. Let it soak on the windows for 20 minutes, wash, rinse, dry and re-evaluate. If it's still there, then get "Scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom cleaner. Spray on, wipe around, and rinse. Try not to get this stuff on the paint, and if you do, rinse immediately. You may also want to claybar the windshield once.

2. Use P21S Total Auto Wash to remove the tar. Spray on, let it soak 10 minutes, wash off with soap water and rag.

3. Clay bar the entire car. Break claybar into smaller pieces. Use a separate piece for lower and tail panels, as these will have the most grit accumulation. Use a double strength solution of car wash soap for lubricant for the claybar.

4. 3M Swirl Remover - should work well to recondition lightly abused older paint. Best applied by polisher. Work small sections at a time. This step requires a bit of work. If you're doing this by hand, this step requires a LOT of elbow grease! This will remove light oxidation and swirls. Don't get this stuff on any unpainted trim. It's a paint to clean off non-painted pieces.

5. P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser - this will add a 3 dimensional character to the paint. Just try it, I promise you'll like the results! Your paint will be slippery smooth when you're done buffing this out.

6. Your favorite wax. P21S is one of my favorite carnauba waxes. Really gives it a deep shine. Some folks here like Blitz wax as well.

My suggestion to you is to try this routine on ONE panel, like the hood. If you like the results, THEN do the entire car (maybe work in sections, and break it up over a few weekends). If you don't like the results, come back and tell us what's not working for you, and go from there.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. I was also thinking of doing it over a few weekends ;)

I have my car in the garage right now about to get 4 days of Klasse treatment. So i really don't want to do another entire car. lol