Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Just took delivery of a Brilliant Black, is there anything I should do right away?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just took delivery of a Brilliant Black, is there anything I should do right away?

Never owned a black car, all of my cars have been some sort of metallic paint.

Just took delivery two days ago and I am wondering if there is something I should do initially?

I am going to search, but what wash and wax is ideal for brilliant black audi's?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would probably clay it , polish it , wax it, are you doing this by hand or

PC
Old 08-02-2007, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default By hand, I do not have a PC and no experience using one

But I think I am going to have to learn now with the Brilliant Black.

After doing some reading on here I was going to wash it with Meguirs Gold Class Car Wash and then put a coat of Blitz wax on there. I have some Blitz left from my last Audi, does wax go bad?

At this stage from my reading I don't think (but I am no expert) that I need to clay or polish it. But if I where to polish it what would you recommend as a good and quick hand polisher?

Right now the car looks great and no swirl marks, my goal this weekend would be to give it a nice cleaning and throw some blitz on there. If you think a polish would be good then I would polish first then wax with blitz.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Former Vendor

Default sure that will work. But I think you would be surprised what you would get after you clay the car,

it will be smooth and clean of any rail dust or contaminants for the ride over from Germany. Just my 2 cents.

If you are going to stick with up keeping your car try Adam's Revive Polish and Buttery Wax or Einszett Paint Polish followed by Einszett Glanz.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have never used a clay bar on a car before, kinda hesitant....

I am sure it is a piece of cake to do, you spray the car with the clay spray then you rub the clay bar (at least I think that is it?). But for some unlucky reason when I try to do things for the first time it never works out right! lol

So my intention this weekend is to get the car protected as soon as possible. I nice bath with some good wax or bath, polish then wax.

I checked out your website and the buttery wax is liquid correct? I would be doing this by hand is it much different than using the hard wax?

I am really going to have to learn how to use the orbital....
Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Where are you located? Maybe there is a kind soul willing to show you a few things...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Former Vendor

Default yes its a liquid and you apply by hand on a mf applicator pad and take it off.

click below for the videos.<ul><li><a href="http://detailersdomain.net/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&amp;ID=3">how to clean your car....videos</a></li></ul>
Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Buy a schmitt...never touch it with anything but that
Old 08-02-2007, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am in Union County NJ, and from my previous years on the audi boards

I bet there is someone who would definately be willing to show me how as everyone here is very friendly and helpful. I remember some board members meeting up in various spots in the metro ny area when I was an active member of the forums. I even met someone back then who is a close friend of my now.

I guess that would probably be the best idea, meet up with someone who is about to detail their car.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default definitely wax it right away.

I've never detailed a brand new, straight from the factory car but I can't imagine that it would need clay. Run your fingertips over the paint, is it silky smooth like a brand new peice of glass or can you feel tiny speckles and bumps?

Polish will definitely bring out the shine a little bit more but isn't really necessary on a new car unless you are a serious fanatic. Unless of course your car has been in the dealers hands for a while and they have been washing/wiping it. Thats another story alltogether.

Most definitely wax it and keep it waxed. Sealant is a good choice if you tend to get lazy as a coat will last upwards of six months. Most would say that regular carnauba wax will look better than sealant on a black car, but wax will also last less than half the time.

Other than that avoid automatic car washes at all costs, never use the brushes at self-serve car washes and learn the proper handwash technique. Two buckets, top to bottom, lines not circles, rinse your mitts frequently, never let the soap dry, ect, ect.

Quick Reply: Just took delivery of a Brilliant Black, is there anything I should do right away?