Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Looking for recommendations to refresh my entire supply

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for recommendations to refresh my entire supply

Going to make a good sized purchase from DD with the WF sale and all. I truly need to refresh my entire collection of the standard use products. Looking for everyones recommendations on the following:

1) Car Wash Soap - I've been buying Meguiar's Gold Class or Eagle 1 in big jugs from Discount Auto, usually whatever is cheapest. I use it liberally in the bucket because it's cheap. Is there any reason to buy more expensive soap? I'm hand washing with a mitt, no foamer or anything like that

2) Wash Mitt - What's a reasonably priced option? I currently use a $6 mitt from discount auto and it usually only pasts 6 months before it's shreaded up and I need to replace

3) Interior Cleaner - Is there really a good 1 product solution for vinyl and plastic surfaces? The 1Z Cockpit Premium is marketed as this product, and seems to get good reviews. Is this the way to go? I've been using Harly PolyGuard for vinyl/plastic panels and Plexus for the cluster/NAV screens

4) Leather Surfaces - I pay someone to do a full-on detail of my car, but I need something for high traffic areas like steering wheel, arm rest, drivers seat for in-betweens, as well as if some other surfaces get dirtied up (like from my daughter). I really do not want to have to do a 2 stage (cleaner then conditioner approach). Been using Meguiar's Gold Glass leather cleaner.

5) Tires - I've been ysing One Grand ERV for a long time. Kind of in-between completely matte and very shiny. I like the way it looks, but it doesn't last very long. What would give me similar look in a non-aersol application?

6) Tire Brush - I need something that works well on the B8 S4 "potato peeler" wheels to clean the narrow sections of spokes, plus get all the way to the inner surfaces of the wheel.

7) Exhaust Tips - I have Mothers Polish and Eagle 1 Nevr Dull. Should I just stick with these or is there something way better?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDClown
Going to make a good sized purchase from DD with the WF sale and all. I truly need to refresh my entire collection of the standard use products. Looking for everyones recommendations on the following:

1) Car Wash Soap - I've been buying Meguiar's Gold Class or Eagle 1 in big jugs from Discount Auto, usually whatever is cheapest. I use it liberally in the bucket because it's cheap. Is there any reason to buy more expensive soap? I'm hand washing with a mitt, no foamer or anything like that

2) Wash Mitt - What's a reasonably priced option? I currently use a $6 mitt from discount auto and it usually only pasts 6 months before it's shreaded up and I need to replace

3) Interior Cleaner - Is there really a good 1 product solution for vinyl and plastic surfaces? The 1Z Cockpit Premium is marketed as this product, and seems to get good reviews. Is this the way to go? I've been using Harly PolyGuard for vinyl/plastic panels and Plexus for the cluster/NAV screens

4) Leather Surfaces - I pay someone to do a full-on detail of my car, but I need something for high traffic areas like steering wheel, arm rest, drivers seat for in-betweens, as well as if some other surfaces get dirtied up (like from my daughter). I really do not want to have to do a 2 stage (cleaner then conditioner approach). Been using Meguiar's Gold Glass leather cleaner.

5) Tires - I've been ysing One Grand ERV for a long time. Kind of in-between completely matte and very shiny. I like the way it looks, but it doesn't last very long. What would give me similar look in a non-aersol application?

6) Tire Brush - I need something that works well on the B8 S4 "potato peeler" wheels to clean the narrow sections of spokes, plus get all the way to the inner surfaces of the wheel.

7) Exhaust Tips - I have Mothers Polish and Eagle 1 Nevr Dull. Should I just stick with these or is there something way better?
Here are my suggestions...you may see some repitition here

1. Adam's Car Shampoo - Awesome product that's PH balanced. That means you can take your time and wash the car, don't rinse until the entire care is clean. You can let the soap dry on your car and just rinse the entire car off at once, then dry. The idea of washing one panel, then rinsing is out the window and makes washing the car fun!

2. Adam's wash pad's/marino wool mit. Rinse thouroughly and they are guaranteed not to cause swirls. If you like your paint, don't use cheap mits and the single bucket wash method. I have used cheap mits in the past, and if you use the two bucket wash method, there should be no issues if that's your preference.

3/4. Adam's interior cleaner or Adam's APC diluted 50/50. The leather/interior conditioner is also killer on our Audi premium interior's.

5. Adam's Super VRT. Water repelent, dries quick. The bonus is you use it on ALL the trim..and it works fantastic. Plus it's safe for the paint, and wipes right off.

6. I use the ACE Turbo Stick combined with the Buffer Stick's from AutoGeek and they work great. I also have the Adam's boulder blonde wheel brush and the combo works great. As far as wheel cleaner...wait for a Detailer's Domain special, and get the 5L 2 pack of the Sonax Full Effect Wheel cleaner. That stuff is amazing, and if you buy in bulk during specials, it works out to about $6 a botlle as apposed to $15 bought seperately.

7. Adam's APC works great on exhaust tips. Also, once a month I use the metal polish 1/2 combo. I've also used the cheaper stuff from Wally World and it works fine.

Hope this helps. Dave