Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Is Machine Buff bad for paint? How to remove bird drop residue "baked" into paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Machine Buff bad for paint? How to remove bird drop residue "baked" into paint?

I'm new to the whole "take care of the car" world. For my previous cars, I only take it to machine wash once every few months and maybe let them do hand wax once a year.

I recently taken delivery of my S5, and I want to keep this car for a long time so I want to do something different this time around.

Due to the nature of my work and how far the work is away from my home, I only have time to bring the car for someone else to wash it, so I came across this family-own car wash place that does 100% hand wash (they wash with hose and buckets, so it's not one of those drive through type of thing).

Upon finishing up my car, they told me there are some "bird drop residue" that's already "baked" into the paint, and they can only remove it if they wax and machine buff it.

It was getting dark and the process takes 2 hours, so I told them I'll revisit them next time. So I'm just wondering what's the best way to remove that residue blemish? Is machine buff the only way getting rid off it? Is it bad for the paint?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I wonder if something as simple as Anti-Insekt would help?

Carried by DD, but did not find a link and description on Phil's site. Certainly something I would try first.<ul><li><a href="http://www.1z-usa.com/PreClean.html">Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover</a></li></ul>
Old 11-22-2008, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it's "baked" into the paint, it's probably etched into the clear coat...

Machine buffing isn't bad...providing it's done right. Start asking your dealership who they use for detailing services. That's your best first bet.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Is Machine Buff bad for paint? How to remove bird drop residue "baked" into paint?

Hey, I just bought a new Q7s it is awsome. You should call your dealer and ask for this stuff called permaplate ! I have it on all my cars! It protects the paint from bird poop ! About 8 months ago in my wifes car, I jumped in with a screw driver in my back pocket and ripped the leather ! opps!! we called the dealer and asked what were are options and how much it would be to get it fixed. He informed us that we had permaplate and to call them. We did just that and they were great about it. They sent out there guys and I had a new seat with in 10 days. I too travel alot and leave my car at the airport and when I return there is bird crap allover the car. All I do is just drive thru the car wash and it is gone. It is a awsome product.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Re: If it's "baked" into the paint, it's probably etched into the clear coat...

I use the Astro drum Polisher. It polishes with out making buffer marks. check it out<ul><li><a href="http://www.mooresmobiledetailing.com/services.htm">http://www.mooresmobiledetailing.com/services.htm</a</li></ul>