Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Magnesium chloride has ruined my finish....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Magnesium chloride has ruined my finish....

I drove from C Springs to Boulder today to go to a DTM power meet, and in the process got soaked with tons of dirty water from snow melt, and the magnesium chloride spray used to melt the ice. Now here is the problem: I just washed my car, no more than 5 hours after I drove to Boulder. And on my hood you can still see where the mag chloride was- it left "scars" on my finish that won't wash off. I can't scrape them off or buff them off with a towel, either. I'm hoping that this is just in the wax layer and not in my actual paint. Do you think a clay bar will take them out, or will I have to use a buffing compound?
Old 03-09-2002, 03:24 PM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know that's what it is? I've been trying to find out this substance for a while now . . .

I would probably go straight to #9 swirl remover with a foam pad to try and minimize damage and get it off the first time. I dunno about the chemistry though, I would be curious to know more about how it reacts with water. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate? Must have left behind something, be curious to know what it is . . .
Old 03-09-2002, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's what CDOT uses for spraying roads instead of a regular salt mixture.

Supposedly its more neutral than traditional salt, but it definitely left some ugly and stubborn residue behind. Next time I'll think twice about driving an interstate after they've sprayed it.
Old 03-09-2002, 06:41 PM

Yikes - that's the stuff they are using on WA roads. Knowing this did not make my evening.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:53 PM
Rest In Peace

It must be some sort of hardened water deposit . . . vinegar maybe . . .
Old 03-10-2002, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Meguiar's paint cleaner?
Old 03-10-2002, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Hmmmm, Colorado DOT says magnesium chloride is safer for cars than regular road salt...

From the CODOT site: "As with any form of winter road treatment including sand or salt, liquid anti-icer and de-icer residue should be removed from vehicles with soap and water following winter weather storms. Liquid anti-icers and de-icers are no more damaging to the finish of vehicles than conventional sodium chloride-based products and will wash away with a commercial car wash cleaning. Unlike sand/salt mixtures, the liquids will not damage your car's paint job or windshield." (http://www.cotrip.org/winterdriving/faq.html).
I guess all this means is that you shouldn't expect the DOT to help!

Try stripping the wax off with Dawn or similar; this should tell you if the problem is only wax-deep. Assuming it's in the paint too, I'd start mild and work my way up; see if a hand glaze does the trick. If not, maybe a fine cut polish. I'd do a small section and see how the results are; no use doing the whole car with a product only to discover that ain't working. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2002, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I saw that on their site too...

I think I'm going to start with vinegar and move up to abrasives... won't get a chance to detail again for a week or so when I put on my Zaino. I don't think I'll even bother bitching to CDOT.
Old 03-10-2002, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I wish I had some advice

Sorry to hear about the finish, I was waiting to see some post Zaino pictures. If I were you, I'd call Zaino and see what they say. Try sending them some pictures.

I can't help--no MgCl in Florida, just love bugs.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Elder Member

Default Have you checked w/ a local detailer?

I'm sure this is happening to other people, and they might have some good advice.

Quick Reply: Magnesium chloride has ruined my finish....