Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Meguires #7 show car glaze & #26 Hi tech yellow Wax on White ???!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguires #7 show car glaze & #26 Hi tech yellow Wax on White ???!!

First time detailing my 05.5 White S4. My last car was a losing battle with a black STI and I'm really hoping I can maintain this one myself - by hand. I have no problem spending what I need on materials and was considering a big dollar jar of zymol and going with their lineup?

Any help would be great - I do have access to a porter cable and will give that a whirl if I need to.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow, what's with everyone asking about Zymol lately.

Skip on the Zymol. As was mentioned a few posts down, it doesn't last that long. The Meguiars products you listed work okay. I used to use them until I switched to Menzerna. I find that the Menzerna stuff lasts way longer and is much better at removing swirls. Meguiars #7 contains fillers so it doesn't necessarily remove swirls it just hides them. If you're going to use #7, you'll probably want to preceed it with something that will take care of swirls first.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Former Vendor

Default 2nd on the skip on Zymol, Menzerna is great, you can also try Optimum.

As per wax if your going for Zymol you minus will try P21S or Pinnacle, or even Adam's Polishes Butter Wax.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:01 PM

Default zymol is just rebadged turtle wax its crap. try some nxttech wax from meguiars for something simple

and effective. it will make the car more vibrant.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:59 PM

Default I can't believe I'm sticking up for zymol but

let's keep our facts straight. There are two separate, distinct zymol product lines. The ones you see in Pep Boys, Target, etc. are the ones you describe as rebadged turtle, because zymol (foolishly) licensed their name to turtle and let them bring out this mass market line of stuff. It's OK for what it is, known derisively as zyrtle wax, but it is NOT what made zymol famous.

The "real" zymol is the stuff in the little clear tubs or opaque white bottles, that you can only buy at real detail product sellers. That product line, the original one which in its own way has a little scam going on because it's not made in der Fatherland anymore, is the "real" zymol that we forum rats talk and care about.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Default hate to burst your bubble but the company was officially acquired by turtle wax

they own the rights to the name in its entirety. Its ALL relabeled turtle wax. the other stuff is just overpriced, but hey if you like it GREAT! enjoy! just keep your facts straight.

What I will give is that with the name, turtle wax also acquired the formulas from zymol, the higher end stuff IS similar to the old stuff but has been modified. One more little tidbit i believe that they are owned by United Oil.... and you can rest assured that they care even less about the zymol name and the old "style" then turtle wax did. its now JUST a name...
Old 03-31-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Interesting info (if true)

could have done without the crappy 'tude, though.

I've only been on the forum 10 years, what would I know?
Old 04-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Default The info was passed down to me from barry meguiar

the guy who owned zymol was trying to talk meguiars into purchasing the name. he didnt want to so he sold to turtle wax. along with the info about the acquisition of TW by United Oil. though its not really a secret as info on it can be found on the net. i wasnt trying to be an *** about it. i can see how it could be mistaken since they are just words.

i have been on this forum for about 6 and have been detailing for about 10 so i am not sure if that was supposed to help you out or not. :-\