Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

messed up radio screen after interior detail...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed up radio screen after interior detail...

I detailed the interior of my car yesterday and I must have gotten a little bit of liquid inside my radio. One of the led lines on the screen is out. Everything is in perfect operating order and the screen is still visable and readable, it's just one line that is out.

I was using murphys oil soap diluted with water and applying it with an air hose. (of all the products we have in the shop i've found that murphys does the best job on audi plastic for a perfect low luster satin finish) I'm always super careful not to spray hard around the radio because i've messed up a few customers cars before that way, but I guess I wasn't careful enough.

Is this something that will dry out and fix itself over time or did I just f-ck my radio?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Most likely it will dry and be fine.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:17 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default What is it going to take for you to learn?

Okay, first, I agree with cj99si, it'll probably dry out and everything will be back to normal. Whatever the case, it makes little sense to do anything now...just wait a week and see what happens.

Moving on to my initial thoughts...you screwed up customers cars doing this, and you're still using this method? I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you're applying liquid with an air hose, but given the fact that I've never heard of someone soaking their radio with any kind of liquid cleaner, I'd say this method isn't working very well at all.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thx for saving me some typing, Raj.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:43 PM

I thought it was just me
Old 12-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ok. ok. no need for all the hate.

First of all I wasn't soaking my radio with any cleaners. Basically just a damp rag soaked in the murphys cleaning solution (1/4 murphys oil soap, 3/4 water) to wipe every thing down with and then an air compressor to spread it to the hard to reach spots (radio buttons, window controls, seat tracks, heat/ac vents, ect.)

This is my own personal car, not just an average customers, and when detailing it I gave it tons of tlc and extra love. Beleive me, I love my car very much and would never do it wrong.

Honestly what I think it might be is cold temps. The temperature hasn't risen above 20 degrees here in the past week so any moisture that did get inside my radio is likely frozen solid since I don't have a garage and havn't driven more than 10 miles per trip recently.

On the upside the car looks absolutely beautiful. Just over 40,000 miles and I could pass most parts of the car off as brand new. Just gave it the total works detail minus carpet shampoo (too cold, my carpets wouldn't thaw until march if I got them wet). All the interior plastic is cleaned, leather cleaned and conditioned, windows and doorjambs are spotless. Exterior was clayed and all scrathces were cut. Glazed and then waxed to seal everything up. Wheels were waxed and tires were shined. And then I pulled it out of the detail bay and had way too much fun driving it around in the snow so now its dirty again. It's a never ending battle...
Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, well since you give your car extra tlc and customer cars just a once over then that's ok.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*stunned silence*
Old 12-05-2006, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Translation: watering your interior down and then using compressed air to force that water into...

..."hard to reach places" is really not a good idea.

Electronics like the sort of cold you're probably running into. If it were an LCD display, I'd say you might have something, but not with LEDs. It was almost certainly the water.

Unless you've got a 3 year old sitting in the front seat eating an icecream cone while you tell funny jokes &lt;visual&gt;drops of icecream flying <i>everywhere</i>&lt;/visual&gt;, you really don't need to clean things that much. I'd also submit that Murpy's oil soap is not the best stuff for your application. 303 aerospace protectant would be a better choice.

It's your ride so you can do what you like, but I'd save the compressed air for exterior drying and not use it to drive water into your interior electronics anymore.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Compressed air Is one of the best tools you can use to clean an interior.

You just have to be carfull around the electronics.

Quick Reply: messed up radio screen after interior detail...