Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Micro Swirls..."What the hell did you do to your car!!??"

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:18 AM
fca
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Swirls..."What the hell did you do to your car!!??"

When I bought my car earlier this year, they offered me a detailing package that sounded reasonable at the time, around $600 dollars for their PermaPlate service. Which allowed me to bring it in every 6 months for detailing, or sometimes sooner, for the life of the car.

The car looks great after i get it back. But after i wash the car a few times i notice more and more micro swirls.

I've always seen cars on the road with these swirls along the sides of their car when the sunlight hits them, and thought to myself "what the hell did they do to their car?" Now i am sad to say i can say that about mine.

I've read a few threads that say that detailers can get rid of them with a buffer. But isn't that what is causing the swirls? Is there really a fix for this?

I think i may have been better off just hand washing the car every few weeks.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:32 AM

Default My guess is that they

are probably "glazing" the paint, which essentially means they are applying a type of product that hides and fills swirls. The car looks great, but after a wash or two the fillers start to go and the swirls re-appear.

Its kinda like picking up a hot chick in a bar and waking up next to Chewbacca.

IMO, that service you paid for is probably a waste.... a glorified car wash- not real quality detailing. It couldnt be because a good detail costs upwards of $300 and they would get killed finacially if they were actually doing the right thing, and of course they expect many folks wont bother after a while.

Keep in mind, even careful washing can result in swirls, but it would be minimal compared to the damage done by car washes.

You have 2 options

1. Poll your local forum for a good detailer you can use 1-2x per year and buying a few items to maintain it in between.

2. Read a whole bunch here and elsewhere and make an initial investment of about 300.00 to get you started with the proper buffer (PC7424) pads, polishes, waxes, Microfiber towels, applicators etc.

The swirls you are describing will absolutely come out with the proper technique.

Good luck
Old 12-10-2006, 08:53 AM

Default a proper buffer is a makita or dewalt rotary... the Porter Cable 7424 is

a random orbital. Far cry from a buffer.

But otherwise, I agree.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 AM

Default I tend to use the term "buffer" improperly and somewhat generically.

of course, you are correct.

I would never steer a novice to a "buffer", so what I should have said was probably "polisher" like the PC random orbital.

Polisher, most likely fits the desciption better.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ROFL...."Its kinda like picking up a hot chick in a bar and waking up next to Chewbacca."
Old 12-10-2006, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 2nd ... my dad got this permaplate stuff on his suburban a while ago. All I saw after that were

swirls. Way better off getting your own tools and detailing yourself. First its a good workout, 2nd you can be proud of your accomplishment =)
Old 12-10-2006, 12:50 PM
fca
Audiworld Junior Member

Default buffer or polisher...?

what are the swirls caused by?

doesn't the dealer use the same equipement as other detailer?
and wouldn't they be able to get them out just as well?

and why to i see so many cars out there with these swirls? are they getting their cars detailed or doing something different?

thanks for your advise.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default don't you use a PC?

are you admiting to being a novice?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:41 AM

Default I never trust the dealer detailing services...

When I was in high school, I got a summer job detailing cars at our local Porsche dealership. It was a lot of fun for me at the time, but I was given zero training, nor did I know much about detailing cars (and they knew it when they hired me). Looking back, I'm shocked that they let an inexperienced 16-year-old detail any car, much less 996 Turbos and the GT2s that came in occasionally. There were other experienced detailers there too, but they were a group of jokers and f***-ups mostly.

Now whenever I take the car in for service, I always specifically request for them NOT to clean the car afterward.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:08 AM

Default I use a PC

and consider myself an "enthusiast". Not a pro and not a novice.

A PC however, is fine for a novice, enthusiast or pro.

A Rotary is more of a pro tool. IMO.

Quick Reply: Micro Swirls..."What the hell did you do to your car!!??"