Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Microfiber ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microfiber ?'s

Bought a microfiber towel and had some questions concerning it's use. The package contained very little info except to say the towel was great at removing wax. Is this true? Do you need to wax more frequently when using micro towels? How often do you wash it and when washing are there specific instructions for that? I am hoping to replace cotton with microfiber to save time and space. Do today's top detailers use them? TIA
Old 02-29-2004, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've switched almost entirely to microfiber towels...

I still use a wool wash mitt and some cotton towels for cleaning but for drying, applying polish and removing wax and polish I use MF towels. They are much better (IMO) at removing wax and polish than regular cotton towels and you do end up saving time.

Care is pretty simple, only wash and dry microfiber towels with other microfiber towels. The reason is that they pick up and hold onto lint very easily and any lint that cotton towels shed in the wash the microfiber towels will pick up and then deposit on your car. Also, don't use any fabric softener with them since again the fibers will hold onto the softener and leave it on your car. Finally avoid drying on high heat so that the fibers don't get stiff.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: I've switched almost entirely to microfiber towels...

Thanks John but do I want to remove wax every time I wash the car?
Old 02-29-2004, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Had to reread your msg a few times, but I think I see what you're asking.

When they say the microfiber towel is great at removing wax, they are talking about when you are applying wax, waiting for it to haze, then removing it.

Just using the towel to dry your car after washing will not remove your wax.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ahh I see..

they don't mean that it removes wax when you wash the car. You use the microfiber towels to buff off the extra wax when you are applying wax to the car. After you let the wax haze and buff the extra off, that's where you use the microfiber towel.
Microfiber towels don't typically work too well for washing the car because the fibers tend to hold onto things too well. When you are washing the car you want something that will release dirt easily so that you're not rubbing a dirty cloth agaist the paint.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:47 PM

Sorry for the unclear question...but thanks for the good advice