Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

My comment about layering a caranuba over 1Z Glanz...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My comment about layering a caranuba over 1Z Glanz...

I just got done with a long detail on the 03 just about an hour ago.

I did a base of 1Z metallic/wax followed with a coat of 1Z Glanz topped with P21S Wax....WOW!

Totally worth the time and effort IMO. Added quite alot of depth and shine, to an already shiny product (the Glanz). I know you are supposed to wait a day between layers, but what the heck, I did 2 on the trunk and hood for kicks. When layered, it went on soooooo smooooth.

The shine and depth was like no other that I've seen. I clayed a couple rough spots, but the surface was in good shape from the clay I did in early June. If you have extra time to burn and you want to play, this was a fun experiment.

I also cleaned and detailed the interior. 303ed all the door seals. Waxed the wheels. Treated the leather with 1Z leathercare. Turned out great. Didn't detail the engine bay. I want the audi peeps to check out a possible coolant leak next week. Did the jambs too.

Sorry, I have a couple pics that didn't turn out too well from the low light...sun is getting low. I'll try and post.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Shhh, that's my show prep.

P21S over Glanz is like adding syrup to pancakes. Mmmmmm, pancakes.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default am i the only one who thinks layering isn't worth it?

don't get me wrong -- i believe it adds shine. however, it also makes it increasingly easy to get wax/product stuck in seams or to just plain leave residue on the car.

i also still think the biggest key to a good shine is pristine paint with no micromarring and no residue. to that end, i'd rather spend 5 hours with my orbital polisher and a claybar getting the finish to be absolutely flawless.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you have a clean finish to start with, it is easy IMO

I had no problems with buildup in my seams. I went through with a tooth brush and microfiber and cleaned up. If you don't apply too much product, it isn't a problem.

I think you're right though. If I were pressed for time, I wouldn't have spent the extra to add the P21S on top of the glanz, which is very shiny and much more durable. But is was fun seeing the results.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is your 1Z Glantz really runny. I just used mine for the first time and it's super liquidy.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is formulated very thin, thinner than water. Do not let this dicourage you on its performance.

Make sure you cover evenly and do not over apply. This might be tough to gauge when applying for the first time. Check out their website for more info.

Just get a terry cloth applicator wet with a few "dabs" of the can, and start applying. You get the hang of it very quickly. Some put it in a bottle to apply and spray it on. I just apply it to an applicator then to the car.<ul><li><a href="http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/storefront/">einszett usa</a></li></ul>
Old 09-07-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Just layered Meg 26 over Glanz.

I think the final layer is what makes it really stand out. Definitely worth the time.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1z metallic: you mean the polish? not really a "base" since it all comes off, no?

just curious if others disagree.

i do clay bar, 1z metallic, or sometimes 1z polish if it's not first of spring, then zaino, then zaino.

layering == the ****.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The formulation that I've been getting is a Metallic Polish/Wax combination

I've been calling it base, as thus the wax formulation of the product. After looking more into you post, there is another product, a Paint Polish that is purely a polish.

There seems to have been a reformulation earlier this year, or at some point. My first order from Autopia was for 1Z Metallic Polish. I thought it was purely a polish without any wax at all (I didn't want a wax, that what the Glanz was for).

When it arrived, it was the Metallic Polish/Wax. I tried it, and I really liked the product. If I need an extra step, I'll have to move to the 1Z PP next.<ul><li><a href="http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/paintwork/">1Z Metallic Polish/Wax</a></li></ul>
Old 09-09-2004, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I read your earlier post and saw your pics...nice work!