Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

My Menzerna Plan

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Menzerna Plan

Alright guys, its me again.
So here is my plan. I want to start a detailing business on the side for extra cash. So far, I bought a PC, complete Menzerna line, a pad kit from Properautocare, Zaino products, and everything else I could ever need.

My question is this. Do I need the counterweight for the 6" pad kit? I know I didn't order it. If so, can I buy one at Lowes or Home Depot?

My Pad Kit:
<a href="http://properautocare.com/hipadkitwive.html">Linky</a> (I have the VCPF-KIT)

As far as the actual process, here is what I am thinking:
1) Wash car with Dawn
2) Clay car
3) Wash car again with Dawn
4) Menzerna Intensive Polish with Hi-Gloss Orange Power Pads (PC on 3.5)
5) Menzerna Final Polish II with Hi-Gloss White Polishing Pads
6) Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze with Red Hi-Gloss Finishing Pad
7) Menzerna FMJ with Hi-Gloss Black Glazing/Finessing Pad

This will be done bi-annualy on my personal vehicles. Is there anything I should do to keep up the shine in between details? I just don't want to risk my clear coats unnecessarily.

That is probably my primary concern right now - What to do to maintain the finish in between details.

Also, does anyone have any experience with a Bissell Little Green? I've searched, and they are the old-school models.

I appreciate your help with my little venture. I'm going to practice on mine and friends vehicles before I start on others.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some tweaks to the plan...

First, you do need the counterweight.

Next, you should only be using PowerGloss (and Intensive Polish, for that matter) when you need to. It is an agressive polish that removes paint. Re-read that last sentence. If you are not removing shallow scratches and/or swirl marks, you should be starting with FP II. Similarly, if you've done a good job detailing a car previously (i.e,. with PG and/or IP as needed), you probably don't need anything more agressive than FP II to keep it in shape.

You may also want to consider a second coat of FMJ (done by hand) a few days after the first one. Maintenance can be done with Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield (esentially a spray bottle version of FMJ) after a good wash. Wonderful stuff and extends the life of FMJ. I'm thinking that with applications of this stuff once a month, I may be able to get by with a once-a-year detailing -- it keeps things looking great that well.

Check the "how to make you car shine" link in my sig for some good background reading.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Thanks! Do you think I need a wax like P21S on top of the FMJ?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:49 PM

So to confirm, I need the counterweight if I just bought a 7336 SP from Lowes?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Putting carnuba on top of FJM is a bit controversial...

It is NOT mandatory and will NOT extend the life of FJM. As to whether or not it makes things look better...

Some people say it "dulls" the high gloss shine of FJM, others say it gives you the depth of FMJ. I think a great carnuba shine is tough to beat, but have opted to go the FJM route because of its superior durability. If you DO put a carnuba on top of FJM, you rule out using HGAS. So, if you want the highest gloss shine combined with the best durability, skip the P21S and go with periodic applications of HGAS.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dunno. I forget which one comes with or w/out counterweight. You do want it though.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:26 PM

Sorry, but what is HGAS? High-gloss acrylic sealant?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

all the research I've been doing says the 7336 HAS that counterweight already.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, HGAS = Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield. FMJ in a spray bottle.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Former Vendor

Both 7336 and 7424 has the 6 inch counterweight, the 7335 is the one with the 5 inch counterweight

Quick Reply: My Menzerna Plan