Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

need some advice....Troy, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice....Troy, anyone?

I have read quite a bit about detailing and paint care in this site, but I'd like to put it into regular practice.

A month ago I purchased a beige 2005 A6 3.2 with 20K miles on it. I want to get some wax on it before the Arizona heat hits. The paint is in great condition with no swirls. What kind of wax holds up best in the heat? and how often should I wax. We don't have a much rain here to worry about, just heat and dust. It also has a 3M clear bar.....is it OK to wax, but never polish?

I also have a '04 black 4Runner that hasn't been waxed in a year and has a lot of swirls in the paint. I have a PC orbital polisher and polishing pads, but need some recommendations whether or not to cut polish. I've heard a lot of discussion about claying, but have no idea what to buy, where to buy it, or how to use it. And, am I also able to use the same wax on a black 4Runner as the A6?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would call Nick at Detailers Paradise......

who can set you up with all the product and advice you need over the phone.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm in the same boat, kinda....

but in NW PA...

I have an 06 Nautical Blue 4Runner and it shows swirls really bad. I got a PC and a bunch of stuff from Nick and DP.

Here's what I'm going to do....I think this wouldn't hurt on the Audi either.

Wash
Clay (I do the panel wash at the same time)
4Star Swirl Mark Remover
Wash
Klasse AIO
Klasse SG

I think Toyotas have much softer paint than the Germans...I think this same combo would work ok on both of your cars.

Do a search on clay. Clay Magic works well. Use lots of very sudsy water as lube, then wash the panel again.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:30 AM

Default for the black car you want to clay it and then use the least abrasive polish you can to get the

swirls out. Now by swirls are you talking about actual swirl marks or holograms? i will see if i can get pictures of the two if you dont know what i am talking about, holograms look more like spiderwebs in the paint and are a deeper rooted then swirls.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Re: for the black car you want to clay it and then use the least abrasive polish you can to get the

No, they are not holograms, just swirlmarks, and in some areas the paint is just a little dull. My wife takes it through regular car washes and I'm sure that doesn't help.

What is your recommendation as far as clay?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd that . . his new Prima brand sealant is just a few weeks away as well . .
Old 04-13-2006, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For the PC, I'd pick up the Menzerna twins. Start with FP on the white pad, but don't be afraid to

step up to IP on a (different) white pad if that's not doing it. Use IP on a yellow pad only on those scratches/swirls not being corrected by the above, as IP on yellow is pretty aggressive.

Recommend Clay Magic, Adam's or Zaino for clay.

As for withstanding heat, I'd go synthetic over carnauba. I'm personally a fan of Menzerna's FMJ, but Zaino is great stuff too.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Troy, welcome to the Menzerna fan club.

It will be difficult getting me to even try other products with the results I get with Menzerna.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Re: For the PC, I'd pick up the Menzerna twins. Start with FP on the white pad, but don't be afraid

Thanks Troy. I think I'll try Menzerna and see how it works. Is it OK to put FMJ on a 3M clear bra? I just should not polish, though, correct??

Thanks again,

Jay
Old 04-14-2006, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You can polish the clear bra just like your paint. And yes, FMJ is fine there too.

Quick Reply: need some advice....Troy, anyone?