Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Need some help on what to do about water etching marks on silver paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help on what to do about water etching marks on silver paint

Last spring I bought a PC, Mezerna Final Polish, Intensive Polish, and FMJ. Used them on my silver A4 and was not pleased with the results. I used the Lake Country CCS pads to go through all the steps. The paint looked fine but I realized, after reading this forum for a while, my problem was that I have paint damage due to acid rain or some other contaminant (was like this when I bought it). The car looks good to the average person (it shines well), but when you look close in the light, you can see all the water/etching marks in the paint. It's driving my crazy!

I'm kinda pissed I bought all this stuff and I still have those marks (guess I should have done my homework first). Anyway, since I have a PC and an old rotary with soft backing, I'm determined to get rid of the marks. What do I use to get safely level the paint? I'm looking at Menzerna Power Gloss, but I don't want to waste more time and money if it's only going to be marginal sucess after 20hrs of polishing. I'm a n00b to professional detailing but I'm a quick learner. Do you think I should just take it to a pro to get it fixed?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have exact same problem as you and nothing has really helped

A very respected detailer did his best with a rotary and leveled it out somewhat, but under the lights it's still a mess. At this point it's either wetsand or respray.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm not sure there is any 'safe' way to level the paint. A rotary with the right pad/compound

might be able to fix it but if it is badly damaged, you'll need to repaint.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Post pictures maybe some expert can help.

I am noob myself.
The Audi A4 B5 paint is hard as rock, I used PO106FF and got most of the scratches but not deep one w/ Flex3401. Happy for now.

I've seen good result from Meg-105 follow by Menz FP. If I were you try it on small area, and reasonably price for 32oz.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry took so long to post back. Homeowner issues. Anyway, my camera can't...

capture the blemishes (they're that subtle). You can only see them by looking at light in the reflection of the paint. Using a wool pad on a rotory buffer seems to help a little but it's a lot of work. And I'm a fraid of burning the clear coat so, I'm just take it super easy on it and see how it goes.