Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Need some porter cable help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some porter cable help...

I've started my bi-yearly detailing routine today by giving my car a good wash, clay, another wash, paint cleaner, polish, and eventually carnuba wax... For the first time, I'm using a porter cable and so far it seems pretty easy to use. Wax goes on really well and efficiently... But I'm having some problem getting the wax OFF the car. I'm using a terry cloth wax remover on the porter cable and though most of the wax comes off the paint, there is still some residue left over. It's not immediately apparent but if I tilt my head or just look at the car at certain angles, I can see all the leftover wax. Even if I go over the spot again with the PC, I still can't get it all off as efficiently as I want. This has forced me to use my trusty ol' microfiber towels and a little elbow grease to get rid of the leftover wax, but all in all, my routine is still taking me 6 hours + to complete... I was hoping that the PC would reduce that time...

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just how it supposed to be? I always got the impression that after you apply wax, the pc would be able to remove the wax in a jiffy... er... maybe not? Please help!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:55 PM

Default The PC is mainly for applying polishes, not really meant for removing

or applying wax, as you've noticed, its faster to remove the residues by hand using a MF cloth,I'd swkip the terry cloth for fear of adding swirls or scratches.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm.. I see

So what's the advantage of a PC? Just quicker and more thorough application of polishes?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:39 PM

Default mainly

the PC simulates (as close as possible) natural hand movements but does it 100x faster and better.

it would take a significant amount of time to match the results of a PC pass when doing by hand. The PC wont neccesarily cut down alot of your time detailing, but should make the end result eons better.

btw, I dont use the PC to apply wax, I apply and remove wax by hand and only use the PC for cleaning steps. wax is real esay on and off by hand with a properly prepared surface.

just my .02
Old 03-29-2005, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default makes sense...

But what do you mean by using the PC for "cleaning steps"?

Also, then what polishes or products do you recommend for use with PCs?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:35 PM

Default by cleaning I mean

polish steps.

my spring detail will be with 3m finesse it II followed by 3m swirl mark remover, then a final pass with p21s gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser. all with a pc

ill finish with s100 wax by hand.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i'll definately try that out...

btw, do you use the pc to remove the polishes as well or do you use a mf towel?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To be more clear.....

Yes, you can use the "Random Orbital" buffer to remove swirls, light scratches and apply waxes. The degree of success you have with removing scratches depends on the abrasive products used, type of pads and your expertise. Many people blame the buffer when in fact there are other variables that affect the outcome. The DA buffer is pretty easy to just pick up and operate but to really "master" and get the most out of really takes some time and proper technique which many people miss.

A "Rotary" buffer, which develops more heat and spins faster, is more capable of removing light scratches and swirls 'faster' and is able to remove more significant paint damage that the DA buffer cannot handle. The Rotary, however, is a more difficult tool to learn to master and easier to make "mistakes" with.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:50 AM

MF
Old 03-30-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Biggest advantage of the PC is its effectiveness of removing

Swirls & light scratches without danger to your paint(ie=Rotary Buffer)