Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

newbie's final detailing list

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie's final detailing list

Ok, based on all the great input/recommendations from the experts I came up with the following list of products.

(Exterior-Paint)
1.P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo or Sonax(?)
2.P21S GEPC or IHG (whichever is least abrasive)
3.One Grand Blitz wax - 10oz can
4.P21S Total Wash (for bug spatters)(?)
5.One Grand Show-Off
6.Detailer's Choice Wash Mit(?)
7.Detailer's Choice 100% cotton polishing cloth(?)

(Exterior-Rubber and Plastic Trim)
One Grand ERV

(Exterior Metal Trim (around windows))
???

(Wheels)
I'll just use wash and wax above
ANY OTHER TREATMENT PRODUCTS? i have a scratch here and there on one wheel? How's that wheelwax
stuff?

(Tires)
One Grand ERV

(Exhaust Tip)
Luster Lace

(Interior-Plastic/Vinyl Trim)
I will try both VInylex and 303 Aerospace Protectant (spray)

(leather)
Lexol Restorer (use it on driver's side seat)
Lexol Conditioner
Lexol Cleaner (for other seats)

(wood and instrument plastic)
PLEXOL

(interior chrome)
???? PLEXOL?????

(carpeting and upholstery)
EInen Fabrik Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner

(GLASS)
Eagle One 20/20

Anywhere I put a question mark, I wasn't certain or had no idea. Did I miss anything else? Special towels, detailing applicators, brushes, etc?

Let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks again for all the help!

PETE

p.s. where do I purchase PLEXOL, Luster Lace, and Eagle ONe 20/20?
Old 04-16-2003, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's Plexus, and it's available all over the web. If you're getting Eimann-Fabrik carpet

cleaner, you might as well order their Clear Vision as well. Luster Lace is available from CMA where you're going to be buying the Eimann-Fabrik products. If, like you say, you're a fan of glossy vinyl, I'd choose the Vinylex over the 303. Get at least 5 (10 is better) microfiber towels from yosteve.com or microfibertech.com.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looks pretty comprehensive, a few comments...

- I've used both P21S and Sonax and the P21S cleans easier and rinses easier than the Sonax.
- Neither GEPC or IHG are very abrasive. IHG is mainly fillers, I doubt it is actually abrasive at all. Both will give excellent results on silver but the GEPC is so much easier to use.
- TAW is a good all around cleaner for cleaning stuff that nothing else can clean.
- I use Viking chenille wash mitts since I can find them locally
- I use cotton for some interior stuff and that is about it. Wax goes on with foam pads and everything else (wax removal, GEPC, Show-off) I use microfiber towels.
- Just a heads up, the product is Plexus, you might have a hard time locating Plexol
- You should be able to find Eagle One 20/20 locally but I think properautocare.com and autosupermart.com also carry it. I like it because I can find it locally and I tend to go through alot of glass cleaner.

IMO for wax removal and polishing microfiber towels are the way to go. I got mine awhile ago at neatitems.com but there are other places you can get them from. Not all MF towels are created equal so check the forum for some other sources (I'm pretty sure properautocare.com has a selection).
Also what are you using to dry the car with? Every one has their favorite tools to use from regular cotton towels to leaf blowers. I've used the P21S super absorbing towel but I'm using the Big Blue Towel from properautocare.com now. It's a large waffle weave microfiber towel that holds a ton of water. Switching from the synthetic chamois to the big blue cut quite a bit of time off the time it took to dry my car.

For most of the stuff you are ordering you can get it at carcareonline.com. They've recently added an online store which is nice and they have free shipping on orders over $75 (I believe that's it). I think they've got the biggest selection of products on the Net. Some of the other stuff on your list you'll probably have to get at properautocare.com. It is unfortunate that there really isn't one site that stocks everything.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: newbie's final detailing list

(Exterior-Paint)
1.P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo or Sonax(?) <b>I use P21S, makes me happy, never tried Sonax.</b>

2.P21S GEPC or IHG (whichever is least abrasive)<b>I have both, use 3MIHG once a year. The GPEC is nice too.</b>

3.One Grand Blitz wax - 10oz can <b>Good stuff but if I didn't have a PC 7424 the P21S ease of application could sway me.</b>

4.P21S Total Wash (for bug spatters)(?) <b>Never bothered. Bugs aren't a big deal in the city and the ones we have are softer than clear coat when wet.</b>

5.One Grand Show-Off <b>Never tried it, not a big Detail Spray guy</b>

6.Detailer's Choice Wash Mit(?) <b>Walmart has the real good deal on mitts</b>

7.Detailer's Choice 100% cotton polishing cloth(?) <b>Whatever, just get lots, I have enough micro fiber and cotton to do three cars without washing my towels. I don't have much pressure to wash my stuff after doing the car.</b>

(Exterior-Rubber and Plastic Trim)
One Grand ERV <b>I like it but prefer Aerospace 303 or Wurth rubber treatment on rubber</b>

??? <b>I just wash and wax</b>

(Wheels)
ANY OTHER TREATMENT PRODUCTS? i have a scratch here and there on one wheel? How's that wheelwax
stuff? <b>They are painted almost just like your car body. People have sucess just using the same stuff they use on their car paint.</b>

(Tires)
One Grand ERV <b> I only do this to scuffed rubber. Then I use Meguiers Gold Class? (Purple Gel)</b>

(Exhaust Tip)
Luster Lace <b>I don't "really" have tips that show enough to care about.</b>

I will try both VInylex and 303 Aerospace Protectant (spray) <b>Vinylex will evaporate and leave a blue film inside the windows. The 303 hardly evaporates at all, gives UV protection and is less glossy.</b>

(leather)
Lexol Restorer (use it on driver's side seat)
Lexol Conditioner
Lexol Cleaner (for other seats) <b> Never used the restorer. Would like to find something "a little better" than the conditioner but I am happy enough. </b>

(wood and instrument plastic)
PLEXOL <b> Plexus is the good stuff here</b>

(interior chrome)
???? PLEXOL????? <b>Nothing but de-ionized water or whatever is on the microfiber towel..303 or Plexus</b>

(carpeting and upholstery)
EInen Fabrik Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner
<b>Rent a carper cleaner or borrow one, I never clean the roof cloth or little bit on the doors.</b>

(GLASS)
Eagle One 20/20 <b> I use Spray Away or Invisible Glass, vinegar for water spots, glass polish/wax for kicks if I am bored. </b>

Anywhere I put a question mark, I wasn't certain or had no idea. Did I miss anything else? Special towels, detailing applicators, brushes, etc?

<b> I buy at http://www.microfibertech.com/ I bought my cotton at autosupermart I think. I also have some 3M lintless paper towels for "spot jobs". Start collecting old tooth brushes. Q-Tips and toothpicks are nice to have. Start collecting 5 gallon buckets too. I use about 6 for clean cloths and mitts, dirty clothes and mitts, clean soapy water, rinse water, keeping stuff in, etc., etc.</b>

Let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks again for all the help!

PETE

p.s. where do I purchase PLEXOL, Luster Lace, and Eagle ONe 20/20? <b>I buy everything on the Internet except wash mitts. </b>
Old 04-17-2003, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It's Plexus, and it's available all over the web. If you're getting Eimann-Fabrik carpet

Excellent. I believe I'm all set. Thank you very much!

p.s. where did i come up with Plexol? who knows but thanks for the correction.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Good list, just a few changes.

6.Detailer's Choice Wash Mit(?)

<font color="blue">Go to Wal-Mart of Target and get a sheepskin mitt. I've used a lot of different mitts and sponges over the years, this is by far the best.</font>

7.Detailer's Choice 100% cotton polishing cloth(?)

<font color="blue">Get some microfiber towels from microfibertech.com or yosteve.com.</font>

<font color="blue">It's probably not worth polishing the window trim, it's such a small area that you'll probably do more harm than good because of polish getting into the seams.</font>

(Wheels)
stuff?

<font color="blue">I'll let you know my review of wheel wax after the weekend, but in the mean time, see Troy H's, he seemed to like it.</font>

I will try both VInylex and 303 Aerospace Protectant (spray)

<font color="blue">IMHO, Vinylex is too greasy and shiny for interior vinly, but YMMV.</font>

(GLASS)
Eagle One 20/20

<font color="blue">Since you're ordering from CMA, you might as well get some Eiman-Fabrik Clear Vision or Stoner's Invisible Glass. Both work better than 20/20.</font>