Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Is it ok to use SimpleGreen as a wheel cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it ok to use SimpleGreen as a wheel cleaner?
Old 11-07-2002, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, used it for a year straight, perfectly fine. Will remove wax however.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you apply it?? Do you...

...spray it on, wipe it on?? Use it full strength?? Do you scrub them with a brush??

Just curious. I use Meguair's "ALL Wheel Cleaner" and I'm getting tired of scrubing the wheels. Also, the last few washes (and wheel cleanings) the wheels have a hazy film once they dry. I can wipe it off but I need to use some effort.

I would like to avoid this with something else, if possible. P21S TAW is what started the "filming".
Old 11-07-2002, 09:34 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Just be aware, it is an acidic cleaner.

Translation: Things like heat and time will accelerate the chemical reaction taking place between the cleaner and your wheels. Once again, it IS acid. People here, including myself, have used Simple Green. Personally, I'll reserve it for extreme uses, but even then, I really try not to resort to using it.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I sprayed it on wheel/tire full strength out of the bottle

I used the regular Simple Green, not the professional.

I used a nylon brush on the tires, works REAL well for getting the tires clean.

I no longer use Simpe Green. For the rims it was generally a waste. I wash my car and wheels every week and even with the OEM pads which had crazy dust, all I need was a damp rag to get all the brake dust off.

My new wheels I am trying to keep waxed every 6 months, and simple green would get rid of wax in 1 or 2 applications, so I stopped using it. I just use water and terry towel and a detailers choice brake dust remover. On the tires I don't use anything anymore, altho I will probably simple green them soon for good measure.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I think I'm going to try RKA's method for a while.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:29 AM

Default Simple green is not a great wheel cleaner

Simple green is not recommended by any wheel manufacturers and is discouraged by most. It will etch some finishes and dull others either immediately or over time. Just use your car wash soap followed by WheelWax and you will never have any trouble with your wheel appearance. If you have clear coated wheels that have a polished alluminum lip the simple green can dull on contact.

Simple green may be great for cleaning the garage floor or your mufflers but don't use it on your paint, and your wheels are most likely painted. WheelWax is available from the Tire Rack and is a proud sponsor of AudiWorld.<ul><li><a href="http://www.wheelwax.com">http://www.wheelwax.com</a</li></ul>
Old 11-11-2002, 02:51 PM

Default Not

according to my ColorpHast pH strips - I measured it at around pH 9 - 9.5, which is a little alkaline and about the same as the local water here in the Big D. FWIW.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:33 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default *Scratching head* I've read that it is acidic...

I'm going to do some more check on this..."trust but verify"...

Assuming you're right...that's still not good for your paint...and I can't believe your water is that alkaline!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 05:38 AM

Default Re: *Scratching head* I've read that it is acidic...

I brew beer, so that's why I have the pH strips and did the test. They are pretty accurate and are plastic based so they are not effected by the color of what's being tested. So I feel fairly confident that the reading was accurate, and if anything it may be a little higher (not that highly alkaline is better than acidic, though).

I've used Simple Green full strength for 5 years now without any damage to the wheel finish, but then again I don't leave the product sitting on the wheels forever, either. I spray it on the wheel and tire, then begin washing the tire and then finish with the wheel. It sits on the wheel long enough to release the brake dust but not long enough to do any damage even if it is a little too strong.

Yes, we have highly alkaline water here in North Texas and it makes brewing beer difficult! It is better suited for darker styles of beer because the acid in the darker grains help to lower the pH. I usually resort to bottled water when making lighter style brews.

Quick Reply: Is it ok to use SimpleGreen as a wheel cleaner?