Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Opinion on Meguiars car products

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on Meguiars car products

I have been recently using Meguiars car products to wash, clean, wax my car. Anyone want to offer an opinion on their supplies. Also, I am looking for a product to remove some medium oxidation off the top of the car and return the gloss the rest of the car has. Would love to hear some recommendations. Finally, what are thoughts on clay bar kits?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default meguiars

Megs makes very reputable products, used correctly they can really enhance the look and appeal of your car, but I say "correctly". Spending $100 to $200 on car cleaning supplies does not mean your car will look good when done, you must know what you are trying to go after when selecting a product, if your paint is really cloudy and dull I have seen seldom few products that will actually restore a faded finish but there is one secret, very little known, Megs makes a plastic cleaner/ploish that is in a gray bottle, it is originally meant to restore plastic dash gauge lenses and the clear windows on Jeep Wranglers soft tops windows the ones that are vinyl and haze over time. That being said, I have used this product just as an experiment to restore the paint luster on an area of my 1991 100 with faded pearl paint, and it worked well or very well compared to a new paint job. Here's what to try. Buy a 3m (only buy a 3m kit the rest feature polish wheels that are way too aggressive), headlight polishing kit its about $15-17 from major auto parts stores, there is a pink-orange circular 3"? foam final polish wheel in the kit, follow the instructions as if it were the "final headlamp polishing stage" which tells you to use a drill and insert the polishing pad "as shown" use it with the megs plastic cleaner/ polish and apply it in small areas 6" by 6"to the area of the car the car that looks bad, repeatedly until it shines, while avoiding edge and hard ridge areas to prevent thin out, or burn through, wipe off/ buff excess with a polishing rag the 100% new car look will wear off after 1 month or so and should be touched up/ repolished with a suitable hand wax as the paint may become thin with polishing. It sounds crazy but the plastic polish works really well with " fading " paint the cost for these items is around $50 the cost for repainting that area................ yes it labels as plastic solution disregaurd this, auto paint is very close to plastic in compound and makeup, the other paint junk and bs waxes will not work, also use mineral spirits or paint thinner to break the layer of old wax or polish before trying this, spread a small amount of it on a rag or paper towell and lightly go over the surface, using another clean cloth to wipe up all excess, be careful not to get as little as possible on trim peices and wipe up what you do spill. please let me know how this goes if you see this I will be glad to give you advice.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Claying preps your paint prior to a polish or wax. Claying gets the rest of the stuff embedded in your clearcoat that a thorough hand wash cannot clean. I highly recommend claying and it is also a quick and easy step. You will be surprised how much dirt is accumulated on the clay bar.

Here is my take on Meguairs. They have quality stuff that will keep any auto detail enthusiats happy. Their products are also easy to find locally.

On the other hand, this forum would not exist if it was not for sponsors such as detailersdomain.com. I show my support by purchasing my supplies from Phil who contributes a lot to this page. If you have not checked-out his site, I would recommend that you do. He will also recommend something for your oxidation issue.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello guys this is very informative post about Meguiars car products.

I was very skeptical about the waterless car wash product on the market today. I used a few of them and they did not work well. I tried Freedom Waterless Car Wash and it worked better than all them put together. It is Great! You have to try it out for yourself.