Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Paint correction and Euro front plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint correction and Euro front plate

I had done a ceramic coating application few weeks ago but the hood got screwed up for some reason. Just got to it the other day and sanded it with 2000 then 3000 grit with my buffer. Then buffed it out in a three-step process, rubbing compound, polishing, and then finally with scratch and swirl remover (all 3M products). The ceramic coating is a bitch to remove but its great stuff. I did not take before pics but I can tell you, it looks like it was going to be a repaint project. Came out great.

This is my take on DIY ceramic coatings.
This is for anyone who is thinking about diving into doing a ceramic coating on their car. I have tried many ceramic products (DIY) and I always seem to come back to Armor Shield. The post above resulted from trying an inferior product and caused a ton of work on my part as a result. One thing to remember, prep is the key to a successful job. You need to wash the car with something like Dawn dishwashing soap to remove any wax. Then Claybar the entire car followed by a three-step buffing (Rubbing compound, polishing compound then scratch and swirl remover, which I used all 3M products. Then, only then, you are ready to begin the ceramic coating and this process yields an unbelievable finish. Many of the others I have tried claim to last 5 years, and they go on with the normal sales hype, bla bla bla. It's a lot of work, yes but the result is nothing short of spectacular! With all this said it's not worth the chance of possible build-ups and difficulty with application. below is the link to the ceramic coating I recommend, which is the best DIY ceramic coating on the market IMO.

ARMOR SHIELD IX DIY CERAMIC COATING KIT

Also, had some time to kill, and made this Europe license plate on my 3D printer that I may put on the front of my TT. What do you think?

A - Audi
08 - 2008
VR6 - The engine type