Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Polish vs. wax ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 08:41 AM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polish vs. wax ?

I've used Zaino products on my allroad since I got it in January. I really like the results. But, as I understand it they're all a form of polish. Should I also be thinking about applying a wax for protection? If so, what you you recommend? I live where it stays above freezing and rains (mostly) during the winter - and the car isn't garaged. TIA
Old 10-08-2001, 08:53 AM

Default you *need* wax

never drive your car with out wax on it, you will have paint chips, scratches, oxidation, acid rain marks, before you can beleave it

I havn't used zaino products, so I am unsure if any is a wax or not.

Polish restores the natural oils to the paint, and thus makes it shiney. Depending on what brand you use, it can also have filler for swirl marks, and be slightly abrasive.

Wax goes on as the final step of detailing your car. Blitz one grand is great wax, meigurs, mothers, also make good wax.

I use paste wax instead liquid, but either way you need a good coat of wax on your car all year round.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default he's correct, wax is a must...

I looked at zainobros.com and none of their product mentions WAX in it, which leads me to believe it isn't. However there may be wax type additives. I'd personally opt out for a coat of One Grand Blitz on top of it.

Try calling Zaino Bro's and see what they say.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:15 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Zaino Z2 is not a natural wax, it's some sort of polymer.

While they call it a polish, it is your final coat. Z2 is what will give your finish protection from the elements. You do NOT need to put anything on top of Z2.

It's important that you begin with *clean* paint, or you'll find yourself applying another coat in 6 weeks. Two coats of zaino applied on clean paint should last 3-6 months depending on conditions.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:22 PM

Default .Agree with Raj!! Put a coat of Z5 and a coat of Z2 on in July-->

and it is still like new. Others on this board have done tests of Wax vs Zaino and the Zaino lasts longer and protects as well as if not better than Wax. You might try a search to find the old posts re Zaino. I plan to give mine a couple extra coats of Z2 for the winter since I live in NH and will have to use a car wash in the colder months.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:54 AM
ssi

Default Actually products such as Zaino or Klasse...

are more durable and offer greater protection than any wax can hope to.

In the summer I personally use Klasse AIO and SG followed by Pinnacle Souveran. I use the wax topper for aesthetics rather than actual protection. Klasse offers protection for 6 to 12 months whereas the Souveran lasts maybe a month.

In the winter I use Blitz as the wax topper. Although Blitz doesn't match the Souveran in aesthetics it lasts longer and still looks great.

Btw I don't know of any Zaino users that top with a wax, although I am sure there are some out there.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default use Harly wax

Use Harly. A good Carnaba wax. Been using it for 30 years on a number of cars. Always happy. Does not affect rubber. I use the stuff on my windows, chrome and on polished aluminum wheels. Rain beads off the windows and I only have to polish my wheels once a year. Easy to use. Even works very well on the plastic panel over your gauges.

While you are at it, try their TireNu product on your tires. Haven't had a cracked tire in 30 years, does not attract dirt, and no build up on the tire.

Not real expensive either, only 15$ for 14 ounces.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:55 PM

as long as something protective stays on, you're good to go! Doesn't hafta be WAX!
Old 10-14-2001, 08:57 PM

Wax is a weak substitute for great protection. It's weak. Once a week driving!
Old 10-15-2001, 01:24 PM

Wax is very pliable and flexible, even in it's solid state. Not many waxes bond.

Quick Reply: Polish vs. wax ?