Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Proper Care for Real Wood Trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Care for Real Wood Trim

Hello All,

I was looking for a post that shows how to care for real wood trim but didn't see any detailed threads with pix, so here goes...

I have a 2014 SQ5 with the Beaufort Black and Aluminum stacked wood trim. It looks beautiful with the black and silver Nappa leather interior.

Here's how I learned to take care of it once a month (thanks to my Father), which keeps it shiny and smooth-like-glass:

1) Get some pure Carnauba wax and a clean 100% cotton cloth.
2) Dust off your wood trim with the clean dry cotton cloth. Clean with a barely-damp cloth (only if necessary) and let dry completely.
3) Put a tiny bit of carnauba wax on the wax lid with a screwdriver. Use a clean finger to rub a little bit of wax into the lid until your finger heat melts the wax into a light oil.
4) Rub your carnauba-oiled fingertip over the wood surface and it should lightly penetrate the wood fibers. If your finger starts to drag then go back and rub the lid again. A few light applications is much better than going heavy.
5) After a minute you should feel the wood again and see if it is still slippery. If not then rub a little more carnauba-oil into the wood.
6) Use the 100% cotton cloth to gently polish the wood surface and remove any excess oil. I prefer polishing in small gentle circles instead of with-the-grain or across-the-grain, just so I don't snag on anything.
Attached Images      
Old 09-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up! Very helpful and informative and something I never would have thought of until today. I say “today” because on my way in to work I stopped at New Seasons market for some groceries and stumbled upon a product I didn’t even know existed, it is called Bamboo Goo and it is mostly marketed for bamboo cutting boards but should work great on any small wood surfaces. I have not had a chance to read the bottle but it looks like it would work great being applied the way the OP instructed. It is marketed as a “conditioner” and “protector” for bamboo and any other type of wood, so it should definitely do the job and maybe even a little less elbow grease than the wax option. I will give it a try tonight on some random wood pieces and report back in the morning.