Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Q's on using an orbital polisher & detailing car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's on using an orbital polisher & detailing car...

I finally got all my cleaning stuf this week.
10" polisher from Sears,(2480 rotations/min) and a bunch of Einszett products. Shampoo, glanz wax, paint polish, & express wax (for the paint).

Now I need to know the best way to use them...

When applying the paint polish, do I go in L-R circular motions?
How about removing it?
Do I apply and remove all these types of products the same way?

Is there a standard guide to bonnet material and their product use?

Any help/insight will be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default my advice to you is

DUCK!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Err, umm - thanks?
Old 10-02-2002, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

You'll see!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't you worry, I WILL figure it out. Anyone want to give some real advice?
Old 10-02-2002, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default ok ok here

First of all - try reading the forum or doing a search before you ask questions. That is just polite.

Second, since this forum is mostly made up of clean car freaks (of which I am a new member), most of them think that those 10" buffers do more harm then good.

Third, if you had read through the posts, you would see a theme:

Prodcuts from P21
Products from Blitz
Prodcuts from 3m

and not a whole lot else.

Here are a couple of websites that can tell you a lot more, both of which you would have also seen if you had read a little:

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html

http://www.carcareonline.com/
Old 10-02-2002, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default now we're getting somewhere>

First: I found nothing on techniques for a beginner in the search.
Second: Where does it say the 10" does harm? I read a slower moving orbital would be for the "non-professional"...
Third: Isn't the product preference a matter of opinion? I heard Einszett is supposed to be good, it's from Germany, and there was a GB.

I will look around more, but I though SOMEONE who has done this many times could tell me if I could apply and remove wax a certain way.

BTW, thanks for the sites.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Read the instructions. We all mostly use Porter Cable 6" buffers and P21S, Zaino, 1 Grand, etc.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:04 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Some thoughts for you...

First, random orbital polishers are generally okay to use. Plain old orbitals can put swirls in the paint.

A 10" pad is harder to work with around curves, and tight places. The 5" and 6" machines are preferred.

I have no experience with the products you mention.

Personally, I use a random orbital to clean and condition the paint, prior to waxing. I only use it for application of a product, to relieve me of the elbow grease needed to use those polishes. Removal is accomplished by hand using 100% terry towels, and high quality microfiber (www.microfibertech.com) polishing clothes. You can even find microfiber bonnets from places like www.griotsgarage.com or www.properautocare.com. Terry cloth bonnets, and wool bonnets are to be avoided at all costs. Both can have a cutting action on your paint that can be dangerous in the hands of a beginner.

I apply all waxes by hand. Once the paint is clean (from the previous step), waxing should be a relatively effortless process. A machine is overkill at this point, and for me, it slows down the process if I use the machine to wax.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't think anyone here has used Einszett products yet. I have a few questions.....

I'll be interested to hear about your experience using the products you just bought. I found the Enszett website (linked below for those who are interested). So far I've stuck with carnauba waxes, but there are many people here who use synthetics. The product descriptions on the Einszett site are a little confusing to me, so I have a few questions....

1. From what I read, I don't quite understand why you'd buy the Glanz wax <i>and</i> the Express Wax. The latter sounds like a carnauba-based "cleaner wax", while the former is a synthetic protectant with no cleaners. Wouldn't you use Glanz on properly prepped paint and just forget about Express Wax altogether? Isn't Express Wax for people who don't want to be bothered using other cleaning/polishing products (which you've also bought)? Maybe I'm missing something.

2 Why did you pick Paint Polish over Metallic Polish (which despite its name is for paint and not metal)? From the descriptions it sounds like Metallic would have more general usefulness (the "glaze" equivalent in the Einszett line), with Paint Polish being more like a true polish/swirl mark remover. But I could be wrong, so I'm curious about why you made the selection you did.

3. For those of us who have experience using products like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze in advance of waxing, which of the Einszett products do you think most closely parallels 3M IHG in performance? Am I correct that it's Metallic Polish?

4. The Einszett site doesn't say one way or another whether Metallic Polish and Paint Polish are abrasive. What's your information on that? Are they both chemical cleaners or are the Paint-Metallic-Ultra threesome all abrasive, with each being a little more abrasive than the one before it in the line?

5. What made you choose to go with this line of products? Recommendations from friends?

The Einszett site itself has directions for using their products -- http://einszettna.com/sys-tmpl/directionsforpaintworkproducts. I just bought a Porter-Cable random orbital because I dont' have any experience using machines and I wanted one that would be more or less idiot-proof. As a newbie buffer owner I also don't have much experience buying pads (I got some good advice here last week), but the sites I've visited are selling 5" and 6" polishing pads, not 10". I do know that the most important thing to look for is "cutting action". Depending on the condition of your paint you want to use a pad with very mild cutting action when using polish, but you want zero cutting action when applying wax. BUT...I can't imagine that you'll want or need to use that buffer to apply the Einszett Glanz Wax anyway. With respect to direction, since you're using an orbital buffer it seems to me that the direction in which you move the machine (forward/backward or sideways) is probably irrelevant (the pad is spinning around and around whichever way you go) as long as you make all of your strokes overlap. But maybe someone with more experience can provide some better insight.

Let us know how it goes for you! Thanks.<ul><li><a href="http://einszettna.com/sys-tmpl/storefront/">Einszett</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Q's on using an orbital polisher & detailing car...