Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Removing light scratches and swirl marks as opposed to hiding / filling them.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing light scratches and swirl marks as opposed to hiding / filling them.

Can someone recommend a way to remove / buff out light scratches and swirl marks caused by dealer washing my car ? I know alot of products are designed to hide or fill light scratches. Which products can actually remove light scratches and swirls marks from the clear coat permanately ?

THANKS.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:15 PM

Default I should comment on what I use now.

I use the Zaino system but it has become screwed up from dealer treatment. I want to strip it off then use something to REMOVE (Not hide or fill) light scratches / swirls marks. When done with that, I plan on starting the Zaino process again starting from scratch.

I've tried 3M IHG amd 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound (Mixed 50/50, then gradually removing the RC completely by the 3 or 4 treatment) in a attempt to remove some of the scratches. This has worked with some success, just want to make sure this is a good route. I want to do the whole car before starting the Zaino process all over again with as little surface defects as possible.

I will most likely clay bar before starting the process over.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:21 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, you're kind of on the right track.

3M makes a swirl remover to deal with this.

I like Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish myself (www.properautocare.com). It's a two stage process which will leave the paint nearly flawless. It takes time though...and you'll get the best results using an orbital polisher like the Porter Cable 7424.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:19 PM

Default I was searching the forum and noticed alot of positive feedback re: this stuff.

Maybe I will ditch the Zaino and go with this system.

My paint is in good condition just some random light scratches and swirls.

What would be best to remove my existing Zaino. I've used Dawn on 1 or 2 occassions in the past to strip everything. Would this be fine before switching to Menzerna ?

So I should use IP, FP, then something like Blitz wax ? I plan in picking up a PC 7424.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Menzerna will remove whatever's on there now, so don't worry about that.

Being careful to strip off wax or polymer before using an abrasive polish is like paying for a haircut right before shaving your head. There's really no point.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:30 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You don't need to ditch the Zaino...

You can use the Menzerna twins, immediately after claybaring the car. Neither of these items have anything to do with the fact that you're using Zaino, except that they will remove the Zaino (and everything else) from your paint, so you'll need to begin the Zaino process all over. By the time you're done with the Menzerna twins, you should find your paint in near perfect condition. The Menzerna leaves nothing behind (if you've buffed it well...so keep a bottle of distilled water handy...it makes buffing some of the stubborn polish much easier). In fact, you'll find the paint is so clean that water will bead on it...just like freshly painted surfaces at the body shop. There should be no need for Z5. Just proceed to Z1 + Z2 or Z2 and ZFX (whichever way you do it).

Now, if you want to switch to something else, that's okay too. Blitz, P21S, Zymol (not the Zurtle stuff), Pinnacle, your choice.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:55 PM

Default I appreciate the tip ... Zaino is nice but a pain to use, maybe a good time to just

get away from it completely now. I usually like to wax the car every 2-3 months. Is this Klasse AIO stuff a good choice if didn't want to go back to Zaino ? I want something that is going to have some lasting power as well as give a nice deep shine.

Feedback has been greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: The Menzerna will remove whatever's on there now, so don't worry about that.

Sig=King Crimson?
Old 02-25-2004, 07:35 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

I haven't used it...maybe someone else can comment on the Klasse.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:57 AM

Default I'm a recent Klasse (from Zaino) convert. I find it easily as good.

And I like that that AIO acts as a polish as well. If you do two coats, the first application will act more as a cleanser and polish, and the second will actually build up the acrylic protection.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/brand.asp?brandid=18">Klasse products at SportsCarCare.com</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Removing light scratches and swirl marks as opposed to hiding / filling them.