Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Removing swirls 3M products?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing swirls 3M products?

So I picked up both 3M Swirl Remover & Imperial Hand Glaze. I have used IHG on another car but not yet on my S4 and it worked very well.

I'm curious which works better IHG or the PerfectIt Swirl Remover? The Swirl remover seems to be specifically for dark cars and removing swirls.

I have alot of swirls/spider marks on my car and I'd like to minimize them which product would I be better off using?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IHG and SMR are for different jobs....

IHG is a show car product. It is chocked with fillers and it's primary job is to "disguise" swirls. It is a temporary solution and the swirls will return when the fillers wear/wash of.

SMR is an abrasive. It also has some fillers in it but very little. The abrasives actually do help REMOVE paint damage/swirls. The solution is permanent.

Use the SMR if you want long lasting results.

The SMR comes in two varieties, light and dark. They are the same abrasive with just a different pigmented filler.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Also, IHG contains gloss-enhancing oils, so it will still benefit you to follow the

SMR with IHG. However, as Bloom says, using IHG alone will not remove swirls, merely hide them.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks.....also...

I have pretty bad swirls/spider marks and a dark car so SMR would probably be best for me. Do you think I should avoid the SMR if I don't need to? I hate the word abrasive
Old 04-05-2005, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

SMR, while abrasive, is pretty hard to misuse.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the help....after reading a bit more...

I see that its alot more affective to use a PC when applying SMR. I'm not really sure how to classify the swirls I have but they are definately visible in sunlight.

I have never used a PC orbital mainly because I have been scared but also because I enjoy doing it by hand. Anyways, Main question...can I remove the swirls by hand in a day? How hard/much do I work it in? And I've read mixed things on whether to follow the instructions in a circular motion or use strokes.

Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You'll want to use circular motion with SMR. As for PC v. Handiwork, you COULD

do it by hand, but it WILL take you all day and you will be worn to the bone when you're done. My PC has paid for itself time and time again with the time and effort I've saved. Now that I've used one, I would not detail a car without it.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any advice on buying one? How much will I spend?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Search function, young grasshopper....covered in depth already.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My least favorite response...I've searched and read and read...I always do....so its irritating when

I receive this response...especially when having a conversation about the subject and was curious what you think. If you don't want to answer then don't...

Thanks for the thoughts up until that point.

Quick Reply: Removing swirls 3M products?