Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Rubbing alcohol bad for paint? (or how to remove synthetic products like Klasse / Zaino / etc)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing alcohol bad for paint? (or how to remove synthetic products like Klasse / Zaino / etc)

So I've been looking a bit at polymer based products like Klasse / Zaino / BlackFire , and they all seem pretty good (and come with raving reviews), but I've always wondered how do you get the stuff off when you want to detail the car fresh? I don't think Dawn works on plastic. Someone mentioned rubbing alcohol (perhaps jokingly?) would remove the stuff, but would that be bad for the paint? Otherwise, some sort of solvent like the stuff boscoj uses (Grow?) would sound like a decent solution. The appeal of a longer lasting finish is growing (no pun intended) on me.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:39 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Dawn should work fine.

I actually use 3M Imperial Machine Glaze, twice a year before applying Zaino, and that will remove the Zaino as well, so I start on a clean slate.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I really don't know if dawn will work or not...

it works on carnuba because it is a naturally based product, and Dawn has a basic pH. Since Zaino is totally synthetic, it may not work.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm no chemist, but I don't see Dawn stripping a polymer finish.

Didn't someone mention that Klasse makes a product to remove AIO when you want to start over? I don't remember. I do know that the question of how to remove a polymer or acrylic finish is principally what's kept me from using those products. Wax, at least, is easy to deal with.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:09 PM

Default We get Isopropyl Alcohol at the port by the 55 Gal drum..does not hurt the car, in fact washer sol

has a lot of alcohol in it to keep it from freezing and not leaving a mess behind.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:15 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You're both right...I just called them (Zaino) for clarification...

Dawn won't do the job, but most volatile solvents on the market will remove it quite easily. As an example, the paint prep products that most body shops use will easily strip Zaino from the paint. I imagine 3M IMG will also strip Zaino (smell it...it's got some solvents in there).
Old 05-22-2002, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default but that's a bit of a waste of IHG...

IHG is (from my guesstimate understanding) a filler/polisher suspended in a solvent. Now if you use that on top of something like Zaino/etc, you're mixing the solutes (filler/polisher stuff) in the IHG with the Zaino/etc solutes (re-suspended Zaino polish/filler/sealant/etc). Now that's not very pure/clean.

so now there's the question of what's a good "volatile solvent" that body shops/etc use? It'd seem the purist (sp?) detail procedure would be:

(assuming a car already that already has a polymer like Zaino / Klasse / etc on it)
1 - wash car
2 - dry car
3 - solvent car
4 - rinse car w/water (to remove excess solvent?)
5 - dry car
6 - clay car
7+ go through "regular" routine of some sort of polish, then some sort of protective coat

Okay, that may be a bit excessive (may not need 2 or 4/5), but you get the general idea. IHG should be around step 7, not 3.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:50 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I have to ask...why are you so intent on stripping it all off in the first place?

My twice a year routine consists of:
Wash car
Clay car
Rinse and dry car
3M IMG
Z1 + 2 coats of Z2

I'll add a coat of Z2 as needed, but that's about it. Results are great, and the paint looks as good as new when I'm done.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same reason you'd use Dawn/etc with a convential wax - to start fresh.

Otherwise, you're just piling new material on top of old (unevenly) worn material. Generally not the best procedure.

Usual car wash soap? Shouldn't be taking off polymer.

Claybar? Don't quit see how that'd take off polymer, except for small clumps/bumps.

IHG? If switching to a polymer system (Zaino / Klasse / Blackfire), I think it'd be best to use the filler/polish that's part of the system. It would bind better with the sealant/glaze/protective layer of the system

The filler/polish component of chosen system? I guess it would resuspend whatever's already on the car, but then you're just basically spreading out the old stuff (plus new stuff) again.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:10 PM

Default Use P21S Total Auto Wash

This product will do a wonderful job. Just make sure you protect your Audi right away with a wax.

Melissa<ul><li><a href="http://www.autodetail.com">Autodetail.com - The thrill of a clean car starts here.</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Rubbing alcohol bad for paint? (or how to remove synthetic products like Klasse / Zaino / etc)