Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Salt stains on/in paint surface

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salt stains on/in paint surface

My car has 600 miles on it. First salt of the winter was last week, just after delivery. I rinsed the car, washed it, dried it.

I can see areas where the salted moisture must have beaded up on the surface of the car - it is the hood that I am seeing this on. I used a little very watery swirl remover in one area to check this out. Seems to have worked. Am I going to have to do this every wash this winter? I mean, is this going to be common to have these traces of where the salt water sat on top of the car?

What do you guys suggest to keep this from happening? There is one spot that I know wasn't there last week, that looks like it went through the clearcoat, and etched into the surface. Kind of like a bird crap etching, only smaller. Is this just the beginning of the end of my car finish?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steveracer
My car has 600 miles on it. First salt of the winter was last week, just after delivery. I rinsed the car, washed it, dried it.

I can see areas where the salted moisture must have beaded up on the surface of the car - it is the hood that I am seeing this on. I used a little very watery swirl remover in one area to check this out. Seems to have worked. Am I going to have to do this every wash this winter? I mean, is this going to be common to have these traces of where the salt water sat on top of the car?

What do you guys suggest to keep this from happening? There is one spot that I know wasn't there last week, that looks like it went through the clearcoat, and etched into the surface. Kind of like a bird crap etching, only smaller. Is this just the beginning of the end of my car finish?

Did you polish and wax the car before the salt? I've never had an issue with salt leaving a stain but I'm kind of **** about my paint.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I got the car home from dealer and had to drive it next day. It was detailed nice, but most likely no wax was applied. Probably just a detail, and polish. Was told the dealership guys used Wizard products, most likely was just a gloss sealer.

I know nothing about these products. The car looked good though, probably not perfect, but I was satisfied.