Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Scratches on shiny plastic trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches on shiny plastic trim

I recently brought my new B7 back to the dealer for some minor warranty adjustments, only to find that they put a couple of scratches into the shiny black trim between the driver and passenger door. (All this despite the do-not-wash instructions.)

Is there a particular product suited for this specific type of plastic? I was thinking of using something such as Mother's Back to Black, but I'm not sure if that's an appropriate product for such a shiny, smooth surface.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The B pillar? Don't know about the B7, but I treat it like paint, which it is.

"Shiny plastic"? I'm pretty sure my B5's B pillar is metal, not plastic, so I'm not sure this will apply to your situation, but if it's painted I don't see why not.

For superficial scratches on the B pillar, I've found that a quick rubdown with glaze usually removes them. Yeah, I know, glazes aren't supposed to remove scratches, only "hide" them; anyone here is welcome to come to my house and show me that all those B pillar scratches are really still there. :-p If that doesn't do it, move up in aggressiveness just like you would with paint. "Back to Black" is not what you want to use, unless your B pillar is completely different from what I'm thinking about.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Yes, it is on the B-pillar, but is that a painted surface?

Thanks. Yes, you are right, it is a trim piece over the B-pillar. I've not looked at pre-B7 models closely to see whether this is a recent change. (I had a Nissan back in the 80's that had similar material between the rear side windows and the C-pillar.)

But is it painted? Not sure what to call this stuff, but I'm not sure how it had such a glossy surface. I don't think that this is a part that one would normally polish and wax, hence my confusion.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default well i know the B pillar on my A6 is painted metal. and its VERY easy to scratch. this will really..

be a test for microfiber towels and any below par MF towels will really scratch the hell out of it even with a light touch. i dont think it has a clearcoat on it like the rest of the car.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Thanks for the tip

On my B7, this part appears to be plastic. If it is metal, I will try my hand at buffing it.